+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social assistance for refugee claimants

Discussion in 'Refugees and Asylum' started by Edd77, Dec 7, 2016.

  1. Hello everbody,

    I was wondering if there are any social assistances or financial supports for refugee claimants since they are not allowed to work and they have no source of income.
    Are there any ways to get some support?

  2. It depends on the province you are at. Every province is different when it comes to financial assistance.
  3. Ontario is the best if you are refugee claimant you can get social assistance some 700 CAD in a month.
  4. Every refugee claimant who is not able to support themselves otherwise is granted an open work permit.
  5. you can apply for open work permit. social assistance only for those who need it the most.
  6. Thanks for the replies

    As I told you I am a refugee claimant who is waiting his hearing. I live in Hamilton, so where should I apply for?

  7. 905-546-4800 Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4 pm, in English or French. Tell them you are Refugee Claimant and you have nothing and request social assistance ( in their language it is called Ontario works ). they will ask some questions then they will set up and appointment and they will request some staff . bank account info, leasing, Refugee Claimant document. IF you have some health problems tell them especially Diet and they will pay more. Good Luck mate.
  8. Who told you that the refugee claimant not allowed them to work?? you can apply for work permit free online by CIC less then a month you will get it.

Share This Page