+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

So why do you want to immigrate to Canada?

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am a Canadian and am sponsoring my wife , so that is why I came here.

I'm just curious about something, what makes Canada so attractive to potential immigrants?

I have heard that the economies in China, India, Malaysia, East Asia , Brazil etc.. are booming. So why do these people still come to Canada? Is it only for the passport?

I see so many immigrants here, highly educated driving taxis and doing odd jobs, so why do they leave places like India or China?

Canada has probably the lowest investment in R&D and technology when compared to other countries, so why do highly educated immigrants keep coming here?

I'm just confused.

Scandinavian

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I never thought of immigration to Canada until I met my Canadian man! :-*

Coming from a high technology country (Nokia-land) Canada to me seems a little bit old fashioned.
i.e. the payment of salaries is still done with checks (!!) etc while we operate with internet banking.
The fact that is is so bureaucratic to get into the country as a skilled worker (RN) was a surprise
to me since getting into my country is quite easy! And I have heard that it might take up to one year (or more)
to get a work permit (and with all the tests before with the CNO to prove that there are well educated nurses in other countries than Canada!) 8)
is just being annoying. But a human being is adapted to the environment quite easy so I am also looking forward
moving to Canada. And the Canadians seems to be friendly and nice, and I like the mixture of other, different cultures!

My biggest concern is not to be able to work, since I am an independent woman love my work!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did not know there were people in Canada who still get paid with checks. I have always gotten direct deposit. I dislike the 2 week paydays though because your rent and everything else is monthly.

I do not think you can say that it is so easy to get into your own country as a skilled worker unless you know somebody personally who has immigrated there. With the EU, it is very easy for any EU citizen to go to another EU country to live and work but for somebody from outside the EU, it is not that easy. I am also sure that your country would not just allow anybody to come and work as a nurse just because they say they are. Surely they would have to prove it somehow that they have studied nursing and passed their tests.

If getting licensed as an RN is hard for you, what you can do is start off with getting licensed as an LPN. You'd still need a work permit before you can work though.

hamedsilent

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you really compare your nokia land with Canada?? Whu if your nokia land was alot better than canada you didnot ask your husband to join you and live together in very high tech country f yours. Sincethere are lots of jobs in there and so, basicaly you just come and visit canada then

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Leon said:
I did not know there were people in Canada who still get paid with checks. I have always gotten direct deposit.
I was surprised to hear this too. I've been paid by direct deposit since I first started working 15 years ago.

Scandinavian

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"I do not think you can say that it is so easy to get into your own country as a skilled worker unless you know somebody personally who has immigrated there. With the EU, it is very easy for any EU citizen to go to another EU country to live and work but for somebody from outside the EU, it is not that easy. I am also sure that your country would not just allow anybody to come and work as a nurse just because they say they are. Surely they would have to prove it somehow that they have studied nursing and passed their tests.

If getting licensed as an RN is hard for you, what you can do is start off with getting licensed as an LPN. You'd still need a work permit before you can work though."

Wow. Did I step on your feet..? ;) Why in earth should I try to get licensed to get a LPN when I am a highly educated RN? (there are high education more than in only Canada)
Wow..I do understand that you need to show that you are eligible to work as a nurse BUT shouldn´t university degree diploma and work diploma be proof enough..? I know what I am talking about, we have nurses from all over the world and believe me it´s not that hard to get a work permit here at all!

So Canada cannot be criticized at all? Where´s your self esteem? As a foreigner I see the differences (maybe) a little bit better? And I know some Canadians who move here (and Americans) are having the same opinion. That does not make Canada worse and it is not a competition. :D
As a person I am entitled to have my own opinions and I may question some of the things that I have seen or heard.

Scandinavian

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"Do you really compare your nokia land with Canada?? Whu if your nokia land was alot better than canada you didnot ask your husband to join you and live together in very high tech country f yours. Sincethere are lots of jobs in there and so, basicaly you just come and visit canada then"

This is not even worth to comment. But copy/paste > delete YES! ;D

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I am Canadian born, so I just wanted to come home. My fiancé agreed to come with me (and bring our children) because the standard of living is better than where I was in England. I want my children to have a better education, learning French as standard, and want them to soend more time outside and have the space to run around !
I like the bi-weekly pay method, first pay of the month is for rent (soon to be mortgage! Yay!) and second payment is for bills. However, my company pays every 2 weeks instead of e.g. 1st & 15th so is not possible to set up direct debit payments for bills - luckily online banking is quick & easy!

Scandinavian

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am curious to know: how do you value the Canadian education versus the English..how does that differ?

I like the thought of having payment twice a month, is that common in Canada? Do you use internet banking and salary
in Canada (I have heard from my Canadian friends that their salaries are paid in checks!). eg. I see my salary details in my
private internet bank every month..do you have the same system in Canada?

I guess UK is a bit traditional in its way comparing to many other countries but that´s only something I have heard, not experienced.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
I was surprised to hear this too. I've been paid by direct deposit since I first started working 15 years ago.
Ok, you guys are making me feel old!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rjessome said:
Ok, you guys are making me feel old!
I should have qualified that by saying "working full time after university". Does that make it better? :)

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Scandinavian said:
I am curious to know: how do you value the Canadian education versus the English..how does that differ?
I can only speak for the schools where I have come from to where I have come to but:-
*Being educated is something to be proud of here, pupils that do well get congratulated by their peers - in England they would get bullied
*the range of learning is broader. Local schools were Christian so regular religious studies classes were standard, here all religions are taught, maybe not in huge detail but kids learn it all
*Lessons are only taught in French for the first 3 years, enabling pupils to become fluent at an early age

They're just a few of the education based reasons for our decision to move.....

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AAL1984 said:
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am a Canadian and am sponsoring my wife , so that is why I came here.

I'm just curious about something, what makes Canada so attractive to potential immigrants?

I have heard that the economies in China, India, Malaysia, East Asia , Brazil etc.. are booming. So why do these people still come to Canada? Is it only for the passport?

I see so many immigrants here, highly educated driving taxis and doing odd jobs, so why do they leave places like India or China?

Canada has probably the lowest investment in R&D and technology when compared to other countries, so why do highly educated immigrants keep coming here?

I'm just confused.
Hi guys, it looks the discussion has changed from the topic and heading towards Finland!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AAL1984 said:

I'm just confused.
Have you heard of the horror stories of milk powder melamine related contamination in China 3 years ago? This cannot be happened in countries like Canada.