+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

So today I unfortunately join the "100+ Days of IP Club."

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
160+ days since IP, I am going to apply for PR renewal. I have one question, if I apply now, do I need to give them my old PR card? because My job requires traveling. And I have to travel. Just wondering what will happens if I applied but still have valid PR (old PR) my PR is going to expire in September.
You don't send your PR card in when you renew, so you'll have it until you get your new one.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Reminder: timeline expectations have been unreasonable in this forum for a long while now. Not everyone, but many threads are rife with inordinate (sometimes obsessive) attention to incremental time line events. While sure, almost everyone is anxious to see AOR, to feel assured the application has arrived and is complete, in CONTRAST the timeline from AOR to IP is insignificant, not worth much if any attention. For all practical purposes, for example, the application really is "in process" once there is AOR; the formal IP status coming later, apparently when all Sydney screening is complete and the application is referred to a local office, is a bit of bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo . . . perhaps intended to give applicants the IMPRESSION of progress, the impression that something is being done, or at least minimize anxious queries about whether the application has reached a local office for processing yet.

The timeline from IP to the notice to attend the PI Interview and, if applicable, the test, IS ALMOST ENTIRELY QUEUE TIME. No matter how complicated or unusual or different . . . or how utterly ROUTINE . . . the application will sit in the queue as long as that queue takes. Nothing an applicant can do to accelerate that timeline (unless urgent processing is requested and appropriate and granted). That timeline will take as long as it takes. For the vast majority of applicants that is the bulk of their timeline: waiting in a queue for a local office processing agent to actually take action on the application.

And that timeline varies . . . and it varies relative to many, many factors the applicant has NO CONTROL over, most of which factors are NOT SPECIFIC to that individual.

In contrast, yes, timeline from AOR to IP is probably affected by individual applicant factors; and the timeline from PI Interview to Decision Made will often vary depending on individual applicant factors. BUT THE BULK of the timeline for most applicants is time the application is waiting in a queue for a local office processing agent to actually take action on the application, and while that timeline varies greatly it is largely due to non-individual factors, like the local office application load and allocation to individual processing agents, availability of Citizenship Officers to oversee PI Interview and testing events, among other factors.

What tends to be bothersome is that the timeline chatter almost certainly elevates anxiety among many applicants who browse this site. There is NO reason for such anxiety. It is unfair to address the process in a way which triggers anxiety in others. It is unfair to make others feel like they are not doing what needs to be done unless they make an ATIP request for a copy of their GCMS notes. It is unfair to stir applicants to make unnecessary telephone calls to the help centre, which bogs down the call centre agents and makes it much more difficult for those with real questions to get through . . . many of these are people with full time jobs in the day and it is particularly difficult for them to take the time to make these calls . . . only to NOT get through because there are scores of narcissistic applicants wondering why their application is not at a local office yet a mere 200 days into the process.

Please, CHILL. And chill some more. Relax. IRCC is a bureaucracy. Bureaucracies tend to be slow and they tend to be particularly slow when adapting to changes. Remember, in the last three months of 2017 IRCC probably received nearly as many, and perhaps MORE applications, than it received in all of 2016. On top of implementing and adapting to some big changes.

And my application's what anyone would say should have been an open-&-shut 'straight-shot' case file. Nothing outside of the 'five eyes' countries in my background, plenty of buffer days of physical presence, clean record, employed, tax-payer, homeowner, good credit report, never any welfare or work injury claims, well educated, native English speaker, with basic schoolboy French. What else could Canada possibly want in a prospective new citizen; am I missing something? Are they sitting on my file until I give up and leave? Could the Minister spend a little less time solving sartorial problems with his tailor & his PR goons, and a little more time hands-on leading his Department? Is it time for a cabinet reshuffle yet? How long is the PM's patience?
As I noted, for the timeline between IP and being scheduled for the PI Interview, individual applicant factors probably have little or no impact on that timeline . . . the application is simply waiting in a queue for a processing agent to deal with it.

The following two posts adequately addressed things:

Yes. You are a missing something and that is to have some patience.
I'm in the club too but I don't get the point of the thread - it is a 12 month processing time and citizenship isn't an iron clad business transaction with any kind of guarantee on when and if. Things take time, you are a PR and you get to live here.
Clarification, it is not necessarily a 12 month processing time. That is what is WAS, in the PAST, and that timeline is probably based on how long it took for 80% of ROUTINELY processed applications to get through the process, probably rounded or adjusted relative to internal processing targets. Fastest timelines during that period could have been as fast as a bit more than four months, and most ROUTINELY applicants were probably processed in seven to ten months, IN THE PAST. This only offers a hint about how long it will be going forward.

Still the wait is OK as long as it's under 12 months as they claim . . .

To be clear: there is NO claim that the timeline will be a YEAR or less. The IRCC web site only indicates that in the PAST the routine timeline was a year, BUT it further cautions "Processing times vary depending on how many applications we receive." Since there was huge surge in applications in the latter part of last year, which may be ongoing (albeit, probably, at a lesser pace by now), those with applications still in process can anticipate LONGER TIMELINES than those reported in the last year or so. So the one year processing timeline could easily be an OPTIMISTIC one.

Part of the problem is the extent to which many have focused on the fastest timelines reported. As I have oft reminded, MOST applicants are likely to have a timeline which is AT LEAST TWICE THAT LONG. And otherwise, MANY ROUTINE applications will take THREE TIMES AS LONG AS THE FASTEST.

And, again, the impact of the surge in applications following the implementation of the 3/5 rule (including credit for Pre-PR time in Canada) is as yet UNKNOWN, other than we are already seeing significant signs of longer timelines.

A more meaningful milestone might be the 300+ days IP club. I am afraid many more of the recent applicants will be joining that club than most have anticipated.

Edit to Add Re Voting in Next Election:

I do not understand what is suggested about voting in next year's Federal election. There is NO DOUBT that the Liberals are the most immigrant friendly party. The Conservative Party approach was to impose draconian hurdles, engage in crackdowns on even minor technicalities, impose a huge increase in the presence-requirement for citizenship, and otherwise subject immigrants to heightened scrutiny at almost all stages of processing, from PR visas to Port-of-Entry examinations of returning PRs . . . and during Harper's majority government the ROUTINE processing time for citizenship applications increased to TWO YEARS PLUS, with scores of qualified applicants who should have been routinely processed subject to RQ and timelines that often exceeded THREE YEARS.

I tend to lean NDP except for strategic voting purposes, when applicable, but the NDP definitely leans in favour of protecting existing Canadian workers, which is good, except that this sometimes conflicts with otherwise pro-immigration policies. Overall, the Liberals tend to be more immigrant friendly but the NDP is immigrant friendly enough to warrant my support (usually) relative to other priorities.

BUT for sure, voting against the Liberals in the Federal election will almost certainly be COUNTER to support for progressive immigration and citizenship policies.

Last edited:

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Reminder: timeline expectations have been unreasonable in this forum for a long while now. Not everyone, but many threads are rife with inordinate (sometimes obsessive) attention to incremental time line events. While sure, almost everyone is anxious to see AOR, to feel assured the application has arrived and is complete, in CONTRAST the timeline from AOR to IP is insignificant, not worth much if any attention. For all practical purposes, for example, the application really is "in process" once there is AOR; the formal IP status coming later, apparently when all Sydney screening is complete and the application is referred to a local office, is a bit of bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo . . . perhaps intended to give applicants the IMPRESSION of progress, the impression that something is being done, or at least minimize anxious queries about whether the application has reached a local office for processing yet.

The timeline from IP to the notice to attend the PI Interview and, if applicable, the test, IS ALMOST ENTIRELY QUEUE TIME. No matter how complicated or unusual or different . . . or how utterly ROUTINE . . . the application will sit in the queue as long as that queue takes. Nothing an applicant can do to accelerate that timeline (unless urgent processing is requested and appropriate and granted). That timeline will take as long as it takes. For the vast majority of applicants that is the bulk of their timeline: waiting in a queue for a local office processing agent to actually take action on the application.

And that timeline varies . . . and it varies relative to many, many factors the applicant has NO CONTROL over, most of which factors are NOT SPECIFIC to that individual.

In contrast, yes, timeline from AOR to IP is probably affected by individual applicant factors; and the timeline from PI Interview to Decision Made will often vary depending on individual applicant factors. BUT THE BULK of the timeline for most applicants is time the application is waiting in a queue for a local office processing agent to actually take action on the application, and while that timeline varies greatly it is largely due to non-individual factors, like the local office application load and allocation to individual processing agents, availability of Citizenship Officers to oversee PI Interview and testing events, among other factors.

What tends to be bothersome is that the timeline chatter almost certainly elevates anxiety among many applicants who browse this site. There is NO reason for such anxiety. It is unfair to address the process in a way which triggers anxiety in others. It is unfair to make others feel like they are not doing what needs to be done unless they make an ATIP request for a copy of their GCMS notes. It is unfair to stir applicants to make unnecessary telephone calls to the help centre, which bogs down the call centre agents and makes it much more difficult for those with real questions to get through . . . many of these are people with full time jobs in the day and it is particularly difficult for them to take the time to make these calls . . . only to NOT get through because there are scores of narcissistic applicants wondering why their application is not at a local office yet a mere 200 days into the process.

Please, CHILL. And chill some more. Relax. IRCC is a bureaucracy. Bureaucracies tend to be slow and they tend to be particularly slow when adapting to changes. Remember, in the last three months of 2017 IRCC probably received nearly as many, and perhaps MORE applications, than it received in all of 2016. On top of implementing and adapting to some big changes.

As I noted, for the timeline between IP and being scheduled for the PI Interview, individual applicant factors probably have little or no impact on that timeline . . . the application is simply waiting in a queue for a processing agent to deal with it.

The following two posts adequately addressed things:

Clarification, it is not necessarily a 12 month processing time. That is what is WAS, in the PAST, and that timeline is probably based on how long it took for 80% of ROUTINELY processed applications to get through the process, probably rounded or adjusted relative to internal processing targets. Fastest timelines during that period could have been as fast as a bit more than four months, and most ROUTINELY applicants were probably processed in seven to ten months, IN THE PAST. This only offers a hint about how long it will be going forward.

To be clear: there is NO claim that the timeline will be a YEAR or less. The IRCC web site only indicates that in the PAST the routine timeline was a year, BUT it further cautions "Processing times vary depending on how many applications we receive." Since there was huge surge in applications in the latter part of last year, which may be ongoing (albeit, probably, at a lesser pace by now), those with applications still in process can anticipate LONGER TIMELINES than those reported in the last year or so. So the one year processing timeline could easily be an OPTIMISTIC one.

Part of the problem is the extent to which many have focused on the fastest timelines reported. As I have oft reminded, MOST applicants are likely to have a timeline which is AT LEAST TWICE THAT LONG. And otherwise, MANY ROUTINE applications will take THREE TIMES AS LONG AS THE FASTEST.

And, again, the impact of the surge in applications following the implementation of the 3/5 rule (including credit for Pre-PR time in Canada) is as yet UNKNOWN, other than we are already seeing significant signs of longer timelines.

A more meaningful milestone might be the 300+ days IP club. I am afraid many more of the recent applicants will be joining that club than most have anticipated.

Edit to Add Re Voting in Next Election:

I do not understand what is suggested about voting in next year's Federal election. There is NO DOUBT that the Liberals are the most immigrant friendly party. The Conservative Party approach was to impose draconian hurdles, engage in crackdowns on even minor technicalities, impose a huge increase in the presence-requirement for citizenship, and otherwise subject immigrants to heightened scrutiny at almost all stages of processing, from PR visas to Port-of-Entry examinations of returning PRs . . . and during Harper's majority government the ROUTINE processing time for citizenship applications increased to TWO YEARS PLUS, with scores of qualified applicants who should have been routinely processed subject to RQ and timelines that often exceeded THREE YEARS.

I tend to lean NDP except for strategic voting purposes, when applicable, but the NDP definitely leans in favour of protecting existing Canadian workers, which is good, except that this sometimes conflicts with otherwise pro-immigration policies. Overall, the Liberals tend to be more immigrant friendly but the NDP is immigrant friendly enough to warrant my support (usually) relative to other priorities.

BUT for sure, voting against the Liberals in the Federal election will almost certainly be COUNTER to support for progressive immigration and citizenship policies.
Dear @dpenabill.

Many thanks for your wise and calming advice at this anxious time; particularly as one's sagely reminded of what can indeed happen in politics and bureaucracy if, as occurred with C-24, one unhappily finds one's self non-grandfathered-in under new legislation.

I've been annoyed at the Conservatives (C-24's non-grandfathering-in), and now find myself exasperated by the Liberals (C-6 in the Senate; porous border & irregular-entry supposed benefit-of-the-doubt refugee claimants fleeing Trump's America unfairly and opportunistically taking-up resources and IRCC's time); so perhaps as a hopefully-not-3-or-more-years-yet-to-wait-to-become a New Canadian, I'm now curious to find out about the NDP after having read your post.

I guess that I'd have far more faith in the process instant if IRCC/CIC hadn't earlier lost my US/FBI pcc and authoritatively written to me demanding another within 30 days, or else they'd cancel my application sans refund; if they hadn't declined to have my file processed at a regional itinerant office under 2 hours drive away for me as a rural applicant, rather than them telling me that Medicine Hat's in Manitoba(!) and them then continuing to require me to make a 5 hour drive to their nearest office here in-province; if their eCAS system was more like the ATIP/GCMS notes such that each applicant could at least feel some sense of progress by being able to see the slow plodding processing of his file by persons whose salaries and benefits and retirement packages are being paid for by said applicant's taxes.

At any rate, I will report back to the forum, as I said, on this thread, and in due course, concerning a new tack. I've done all of my visas and PR stuff on my own, entirely lawyerless, with much help having been gleaned and derived and deduced from this forum. I owe it, and wise souls like your good self, a lot.

Reactions: nofrills

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
@dpendill I would have agreed with the waiting in queue part had I not seen two people who submitted at the same time to the same office, one became a citizen in 4 months while the other is still waiting.

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
@dpendill I would have agreed with the waiting in queue part had I not seen two people who submitted at the same time to the same office, one became a citizen in 4 months while the other is still waiting.
But perhaps, as @dpenabill said, some kind of an individual issue or potential 'red flag' arose for the responsible IRCC officer during the processing of that second person's file?

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
But perhaps, as @dpenabill said, some kind of an individual issue or potential 'red flag' arose for the responsible IRCC officer during the processing of that second person's file?
Both were working and never travelled so more or less the same background. I believe its down to the queue of the caseworker, if a person is lucky they end up with an efficient caseworker who clears their queue quickly.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Both were working and never travelled so more or less the same background. I believe its down to the queue of the caseworker, if a person is lucky they end up with an efficient caseworker who clears their queue quickly.
That's quite possible. If that's true, and if it's apparent to managers, then maybe IRCC should initiate/institute some kind of an incentive/bonus program in order to foster and encourage the caseworkers to do their jobs, if their taxpayer-derived salaries and benefits and retirement packages, as well as their job-security and flexitime and work-from-home etc. aren't sufficient incentive already.

Billz

Star Member
Jan 26, 2014
Hi Guys,

I submitted my citizenship application on Oct 16 2017 from Fort McMurray, AB but now I moved to Montreal.

Does anybody have some idea about how much more time I need to wait due to my address change or anyone is same situation?

Below are details for my timeline:

Application Sent: Oct 16 2017

Application Received: Oct 20 2017

AOR Received: Dec 16 2017

Application In Processing: Feb 7 2018

Moved to Montreal (QC): Mar 24 2018

Updated Montreal address on CIC portal: April 10 2018

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I seem to remember the 12 months is for 80% or 90% of the applications to be completed? Anyhow, they must have done some statistical analysis to come up with that number as they can't just pull that out of their behind. Maybe they also have a disclaimer like the investment products I buy: "Past performance doesn't indicate future results"? I'm not sure the same standards should be applied for those two matters, though.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
then maybe IRCC should initiate/institute some kind of an incentive/bonus program in order to foster and encourage the caseworkers to do their jobs,
This is not the private sector. This type of incentive program will not fly. Too many barriers to implement such a program.

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
I seem to remember the 12 months is for 80% or 90% of the applications to be completed? Anyhow, they must have done some statistical analysis to come up with that number as they can't just pull that out of their behind. Maybe they also have a disclaimer like the investment products I buy: "Past performance doesn't indicate future results"? I'm not sure the same standards should be applied for those two matters, though.
The call centre's language is changing subtly as the months pass. Our reality now is that the processing time is only going to grow, hopefully only linearly rather than exponentially, for the remainder of Trump's 4 or possibly 8 years in office down south.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
The call centre's language is changing subtly as the months pass. Our reality now is that the processing time is only going to grow, hopefully only linearly rather than exponentially, for the remainder of Trump's 4 or possibly 8 years in office down south.
What does it have anything to do with trump ?

Reactions: nofrills

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
What does it have anything to do with trump ?
With Trump's immigration policy, there will be an increase of people cross over from the states into Canada...