OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
DarkDragons91 said:
I have received the PR thing in the mail. It says I have to be there by may. I finally got my marriage certificate in the mail. I have to inform them of my change in status before I become a P.R. in Canada. Do I make a copy of the marriage certificate and send it to the P.R place??? Or can I wait till I land in Canada to tell immigration??

Also I am hoping to leave feb 14th, I have the ticket and everything. I wanted to wait till I get income tax done before I leave. I am not sure if I left sooner how to file for income tax. XD!!! I am also worried about work. I know I need to get a SSI? Is that what they have??? Does it take a long time to get one so I can start work?
You need to get a sin number (social insurance number) and you can start working. You'll get it at Service Canada when you come in with the COPR and your passport. If there's no line it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
Yay! Thank you!!! Now I just need the marriage thing answered and I should be all good. XD!! I just got my certificate and if I have to send them the original it would be kinda sad.

ChellyCat

Jan 8, 2015
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Feb-2015
Doc's Request.
30-July-2015 (Proof of sponsor's Canadian residence)
AOR Received.
06-April-2015
Med's Done....
27-April-2015
Passport Req..
IP: August 6. DM: Sept 26
VISA ISSUED...
25-Sept-2015
LANDED..........
05-Oct-2015
Ponga said:
Amazing that CIC approved your application, since the ONLY proof you said you submitted (of living together) was a letter from his mother...or was it from each of your mothers? Either way...that has to be a record for the least amount of proof EVER submitted!

You'll undoubtedly have Condition: 51 on your CoPR, but...I'm sure you don't even care about that. ;)
I know this comment is kinda old but I wanted to share that I too didn't have a terrible amount of common-law proof and was accepted xD For the first few months, we lived together at his parents' place so had absolutely no bills or anything in our names. We eventually got our own apartment and both our names were on the lease so I did show that, but before that, the only proof I submitted was a notarized letter from his dad saying we lived there, and a parking ticket I got at that address LOL. I don't know where OP is from, but I am a US citizen so I guess there was less scrutiny for me anyway.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
DarkDragons91 said:
Yay! Thank you!!! Now I just need the marriage thing answered and I should be all good. XD!! I just got my certificate and if I have to send them the original it would be kinda sad.
You don't need to send off your marriage certificate. Inform them of the marriage when you land.

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
Omg really!! :D Thank you so much. I was worried I would have to because in the paper work it says to inform them of any change of status and they will inform me if i need to do anything else. :D!! I wish I bought my freaking ticket sooner now rofl!

needhimback

Oct 30, 2013
Toronto Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain (Trinidad)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/10/2015- CIC received my application 16/10/2015
AOR Received.
5/12/2015
File Transfer...
File trans / Mar 2016
Med's Done....
Up front 15/08/2015
LANDED..........
File withdrew
DarkDragons91 said:
Condtion 51? whats that.

All I see is I have to be there by may. I sent in letters from my mom and his. Pictures of plane tickets and all the visitor records I have.
, very few pictures, some emails, things of that nature. But yeah I was worried because I didn't have a lot of proof.
T

I too send in over 10 letters from family and friends ( which also included my mother ) I was wondering if you notarized any of them..... Because I didn't, I just had all those who wrote letters to signed them and put there phone numbers on their letters

Thank your

needhimback

Oct 30, 2013
Toronto Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain (Trinidad)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
5/12/2015
File Transfer...
File trans / Mar 2016
Med's Done....
Up front 15/08/2015
LANDED..........
File withdrew
DarkDragons91 said:
Condtion 51? whats that.

All I see is I have to be there by may. I sent in letters from my mom and his. Pictures of plane tickets and all the visitor records I have.

I also sent in friend letters, very few pictures, some emails, things of that nature. But yeah I was worried because I didn't have a lot of proof.

I sent in 11 letters from family and friends ( included my mother) but was wondering ..... Did you notarized any of your letters, only because I didn't but I did have everyone sign their letters and put their numbers on it

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
needhimback said:
T

I too send in over 10 letters from family and friends ( which also included my mother ) I was wondering if you notarized any of them..... Because I didn't, I just had all those who wrote letters to signed them and put there phone numbers on their letters

Thank your
For a Common Law sponsorship you need at least two notarized letters.

deweysmith

Mar 20, 2015
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2015
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
MaryLou6 said:
You need to get a sin number (social insurance number) and you can start working. You'll get it at Service Canada when you come in with the COPR and your passport. If there's no line it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.
My local Service Canada issued mine in about 5 minutes. I went directly after they opened and there was no line… I was there and back in less than 20 minutes including travel time. It's fast.

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
Ponga said:
For a Common Law sponsorship you need at least two notarized letters.
We had a different experience, we attached 3 letters (1 from a family member, 2 from friends) and none of them were notarized.
We applied as common-law.
The application process went rather smoothly, we weren't asked for any additional docs. We obviously had more proof, like bank statements and phone bills, but what I'm getting at is that it doesn't seem to be crucial to notarize those letters. Do it for your peace of mind if you need, but I highly doubt that an un-notarized letter will be rejected.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MaryLou6 said:
We had a different experience, we attached 3 letters (1 from a family member, 2 from friends) and none of them were notarized.
The application process went rather smoothly, we weren't asked for any additional docs. We obviously had more proof, like bank statements and phone bills, but what I'm getting at is that it doesn't seem to be crucial to notarize those letters. Do it for your peace of mind if you need, but I highly doubt that an un-notarized letter will be rejected.
You were lucky, because the Inland Guide clearly shows that they are required:

If you are in a common‑law relationship

Proof of your common‑law relationship, such as:

joint bank account statements,
joint savings account statements,
joint credit card statements,
joint line of credit statements,
jointly signed lease,
jointly signed mortgage papers or purchase agreement,
statutory declarations from persons/individuals with knowledge that the relationship is genuine and continuing.

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
Ponga said:
You were lucky, because the Inland Guide clearly shows that they are required:

If you are in a common‑law relationship

joint bank account statements,
joint savings account statements,
joint credit card statements,
joint line of credit statements,
jointly signed lease,
jointly signed mortgage papers or purchase agreement,
statutory declarations from persons/individuals with knowledge that the relationship is genuine and continuing.
We are very lucky indeed ;D

I believe there is a bit of wiggle room here. The abovementioned list consists of, but is not limited to, the proof of cohabitation -
So, a sworn affidavit is a good way to go, however a letter from a family member or a friend may be recognized as a separate document, which is not on the list here. Neither are phone bills, cable bills etc. They will still help your case.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
MaryLou6 said:
We are very lucky indeed ;D

I believe there is a bit of wiggle room here. The abovementioned list consists of, but is not limited to, the proof of cohabitation - So, a sworn affidavit is a good way to go, however a letter from a family member or a friend may be recognized as a separate document, which is not on the list here. Neither are phone bills, cable bills etc. They will still help your case.
Hmmm its most definitely a requirement for outland - well for the Sydney VO at least, its there very clearly on the checklist:

If you are a common-law or conjugal partner, provide evidence that your relationship is genuine and continuing and has existed for at least 12 months prior to your application. Also provide details of the history of your relationship and at least two statutory declarations from individuals with personal knowledge of your relationship supporting your claim that the relationship is genuine and continuing.

MaryLou6 said:
They might not be rejected but as it clearly states on the checklist that for common-law they are required, the VO may send a document request for them. You applied inland, the inland checklist does not specifically request them (well the latest update doesn't) your situation is different.

needhimback is married though so she didn't need to get them notarized.

needhimback

Oct 30, 2013
Toronto Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain (Trinidad)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
5/12/2015
File Transfer...
File trans / Mar 2016
Med's Done....
Up front 15/08/2015
LANDED..........
File withdrew
No guys I just couldn't bother notarizing them (too much money, in total i have 11 letters from friends and family) I knew this wasn't a requirment for the package but I wanted to just add more proof of relationship, just in case, you never no with the Canadian Immgration - good luck all !!

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
needhimback said:
No guys I just couldn't bother notarizing them (too much money, in total i have 11 letters from friends and family) I knew this wasn't a requirment for the package but I wanted to just add more proof of relationship, just in case, you never no with the Canadian Immgration - good luck all !!

I had 5 or 6 and none of them were notarized and I was accepted. Do not worry to much about it. :)! I applied outland also. If they have any issues they will contact you. The only thing I got in the mail was for more proof regarding our relationship. I just sent more letters and chat history. XD!!!!