+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Skilled work required education?

Jan 18, 2020
Hello, I'm 27 y/o and I'm from Croatia. Me and my husband both got out WH visas and we'd like to get to PR some day. We'll both have our masters degrees in September of this year, but the problem is no work experience in our occupation. We worked while being full-time students, but those jobs don't count as work experience for EE since we were students. So we started looking at other programs and we're looking into skilled work programs and semi-skilled. I'm afraid no one would hire us as skilled workers since we're foreigners with no work experience IN OUR OCCUPATIONS. So - we do have work experience that counts as skilled work (for example we both worked as office assistants/ administrative assistants) but it's not in our occupation. As I read on most of those skilled worker programs, we have to have both the experience and education in that field. I hope I did not overcomplicate this - if the employer doesn't ask for education from that specific field can we migrate through skilled work program (NOC 0, A, B) or would the people from immigration ask for proof of our education for that specific occupation? Or is just the work experience in the required field enough? Thanks so much for your answers and sorry about such a long post!

Goodygoody

Star Member
May 15, 2019
You don’t need work experience in your educational background. Once you’re jobs falls within NOC 0,A,B you can gain points from that job. I got pints from statistical and related researcher worker NOC 1254 but I had no prior experience or education in that field. Just make you’re your duties match 60-70% of that NOC and you’ll be fine. Is it Canada that you’re getting your masters?

Jan 18, 2020
You don’t need work experience in your educational background. Once you’re jobs falls within NOC 0,A,B you can gain points from that job. I got pints from statistical and related researcher worker NOC 1254 but I had no prior experience or education in that field. Just make you’re your duties match 60-70% of that NOC and you’ll be fine. Is it Canada that you’re getting your masters?
Thank you so much for quick reply!