+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

skilled work question

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'd like to get some advice about something very important.
My niece is a peruvian/australian citizen who is been living in Canada as a visitor for almost nine months,
Al this time she's been helping me with my son who is autistic,, My niece is a licensed psychologist who study in Peru and has plenty experienced working with special needs children,
After all this time she has decided to stay here in Canada as a permanent resident working with special needs kids, furthermore my wife and I have looked into the live-in caregiver program but we found out that the program is CLOSED now,

I'd like to know if anyone here could give me an idea as to what she could do to stay here in Canada legally, She would be a great help for my wife and I. Since she has the Australian Citizenship she could go there and try it there, but she doesn't know anyone there, she obtained the Australian Citizen because of her Dad, in fact she's never been to Australia.

Well if anyone could please help let me know

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I'd like to get some advice about something very important.
My niece is a peruvian/australian citizen who is been living in Canada as a visitor for almost nine months,
Al this time she's been helping me with my son who is autistic,, My niece is a licensed psychologist who study in Peru and has plenty experienced working with special needs children,
After all this time she has decided to stay here in Canada as a permanent resident working with special needs kids, furthermore my wife and I have looked into the live-in caregiver program but we found out that the program is CLOSED now,

I'd like to know if anyone here could give me an idea as to what she could do to stay here in Canada legally, She would be a great help for my wife and I. Since she has the Australian Citizenship she could go there and try it there, but she doesn't know anyone there, she obtained the Australian Citizen because of her Dad, in fact she's never been to Australia.

Well if anyone could please help let me know

Thank you
The live in caregiver program isn't completely closed. You've misunderstood.

She can still apply for a work permit to be a live in caregiver if she meets the requirements. There's just no longer a separate work permit for live in caregivers - she would apply for a regular work permit (once she finds an employer and that employer has obtained an approved LMIA).

Depending on her age - she can also look into the IEC / Working Holiday Visa program since she has Australian citizenship.

One very big word of caution. She should stop helping with your son immediately. CIC will classify this as illegal work (even though it's unpaid) and this could jeopardize her future plans for Canada if it's discovered she has been doing this.

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
The live in caregiver program isn't completely closed. You've misunderstood.

She can still apply for a work permit to be a live in caregiver if she meets the requirements. There's just no longer a separate work permit for live in caregivers - she would apply for a regular work permit (once she finds an employer and that employer has obtained an approved LMIA).

Depending on her age - she can also look into the IEC / Working Holiday Visa program since she has Australian citizenship.

One very big word of caution. She should stop helping with your son immediately. CIC will classify this as illegal work (even though it's unpaid) and this could jeopardize her future plans for Canada if it's discovered she has been doing this.
Thank you very much for your help

this mean , my wife and I could apply as her employer. right? she is leaving with my sister she doesn't live with us, she comes to my house when we need her help. .

I know that her English needs to be tested, how do we get this done? Do all her school credentials need to be translated?
Do you suggest I should get a lawyer to help me with this or I could do it myself?

Once again

Thank you very much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for your help

this mean , my wife and I could apply as her employer. right? she is leaving with my sister she doesn't live with us, she comes to my house when we need her help. .

I know that her English needs to be tested, how do we get this done? Do all her school credentials need to be translated?
Do you suggest I should get a lawyer to help me with this or I could do it myself?

Once again

Thank you very much
Yes - you could be her employers. You'll need to go through the LMIA process and obtain an approved LMIA. She should take either IELTS or CELPIP to prove language capabilities. Recommend you join the Foreign Workers section of the forum. This is where you'll find all of the discussions for caregivers.

Again, she should stop helping you immediately and not start again until she has a work permit. What she's engaging in will be classified as illegal work by CIC. She needs to be very careful.

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
Yes - you could be her employers. You'll need to go through the LMIA process and obtain an approved LMIA. She should take either IELTS or CELPIP to prove language capabilities. Recommend you join the Foreign Workers section of the forum. This is where you'll find all of the discussions for caregivers.

Again, she should stop helping you immediately and not start again until she has a work permit. What she's engaging in will be classified as illegal work by CIC. She needs to be very careful.

once again thank you