+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Skeptical about study permit and my situation

hadiyawar

Jun 6, 2016
NOC Code......
Hello,
Needed some advice and suggestions from the experienced people here.

I’m from Pakistan. Age 33. Married, with a year old Child.
Living in UAE since 1999.
High school done in UAE. Did Diploma in Animation (London, UK. 2006-7) and then BSc Computer Animation from London, UK (2007-10).
Returned to UAE in 2012, working in Dubai since as Graphic Designer and now Senior Graphic Designer. My employment is clearly different (by title) from my studies.
Brother got PR in 2015 and is in Canada. Parents been on visit to Canada couple of times - went back to Pakistan.

Working as Senior Graphic Designer, thinking to apply for Art Direction course (Ontario Graduate Certificate) from Humber College to advance my career into Art Direction and Copywriting. Sept 2022 is the start date. 3 semesters course.
Another one is Advertising and Graphic Design - 4 semesters, Sept 2022 start date. Credentials says its 'Diploma'.

For starters, I've asked the college to clearly guide me on the difference between Ontario Graduate Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma, their levels and their acceptance in Canada.

So my questions now below:
- How would VO perceive these 3 credentials (diploma, advanced diploma and ontario grad certificate) as, keeping in mind that I have BSc already in 2010? Do they see this as sort of a step back from Bachelors or a career advancement course (which it is, since having a bachelors degree is a requirement for Art Direction course)? I mean, could VO conclude why am I going for diploma when I have Bachelors already?

- Would they consider that I have Bachelors in another area of study and this Ontario Graduate certificate or diploma in another area of study?
Since I am Senior Graphic Designer, would my reason for career advancement into Art direction and copywriting be justified in SOP and help clear their doubts like 'why is this applicant applying in similar area of study where he has 7-8 years of experience'?

- Would moving to Pakistan after the course with retired parents, to take care of them be a justified and strong reason to not stay in Canada after authorized stay? (No other siblings who could be with parents)

- is 1 year course generally easily granted visa or its better to have 2 years of study. And how is 1 or 2 yr study impact having pgwp?

- Is 10-11 year study gap a red flag for VO?

Based on the info above how does my profile sound?

thank you. Looking forward to have some guidance and direction.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Hello,

High school done in UAE. Did Diploma in Animation (London, UK. 2006-7) and then BSc Computer Animation from London, UK (2007-10).
Returned to UAE in 2012, working in Dubai since as Graphic Designer and now Senior Graphic Designer. My employment is clearly different (by title) from my studies.
Brother got PR in 2015 and is in Canada. Parents been on visit to Canada couple of times - went back to Pakistan.

Working as Senior Graphic Designer, thinking to apply for Art Direction course (Ontario Graduate Certificate) from Humber College to advance my career into Art Direction and Copywriting. Sept 2022 is the start date. 3 semesters course.
Another one is Advertising and Graphic Design - 4 semesters, Sept 2022 start date. Credentials says its 'Diploma'.

For starters, I've asked the college to clearly guide me on the difference between Ontario Graduate Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma, their levels and their acceptance in Canada.

- How would VO perceive these 3 credentials (diploma, advanced diploma and ontario grad certificate) as, keeping in mind that I have BSc already in 2010? Do they see this as sort of a step back from Bachelors or a career advancement course (which it is, since having a bachelors degree is a requirement for Art Direction course)? I mean, could VO conclude why am I going for diploma when I have Bachelors already?

- Would they consider that I have Bachelors in another area of study and this Ontario Graduate certificate or diploma in another area of study?
Since I am Senior Graphic Designer, would my reason for career advancement into Art direction and copywriting be justified in SOP and help clear their doubts like 'why is this applicant applying in similar area of study where he has 7-8 years of experience'?

- Would moving to Pakistan after the course with retired parents, to take care of them be a justified and strong reason to not stay in Canada after authorized stay? (No other siblings who could be with parents)

- is 1 year course generally easily granted visa or its better to have 2 years of study. And how is 1 or 2 yr study impact having pgwp?

Go for a master's degree instead

Reactions: hadiyawar

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

A simple diploma or Ontario graduate certificate are not appropriate levels of study for you since you have already completed a Bachelor degree and these are lower levels of study There is a high probability your study permit will be refused.

You need to either go for a Master's (better choice) or a post graduate diploma.

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Hello,

Always go for master's first and then only Graduate certificate if you cant get into master's. These are safest bets.
Show some property in your name in Pakistan in a CA certificate to show home ties. Yes taking care of parents is also one good option.
Huge study gap is not a problem.
Always go for 2 year programs. It will be easy to convert the PGWP into a PR if you want. 1 year will be too tight. Dont do it!

Last edited:

Greeny786

Champion Member
Jul 12, 2021
if not eligible for master then post graduate diploma is also an option, but this is minor issue, having brother in canada as a PR is one of the most weakest ties and ur visa will be rejection chances are more than 80% so i will suggest u do not apply urself as u can make weak LOE, go through ircc registered consultant as he can prepare ur file well

hadiyawar

Jun 6, 2016
NOC Code......
A simple diploma or Ontario graduate certificate are not appropriate levels of study for you since you have already completed a Bachelor degree and these are lower levels of study There is a high probability your study permit will be refused.

You need to either go for a Master's (better choice) or a post graduate diploma.
thank you.
Yes I have been looking for post grad diploma etc. The Art Direction course that I’m talking about is apparently a post grad certificate and they have also mentioned in the details.

Below is directly from their website
‘At Humber, we offer one-year postgraduate certificates in Advertising Copywriting, Account Management and Art Direction.’
i didn’t find masters good enough. Their course outlines are weird. This post grad certificate seems on point of what I was looking for. Only negative point is this is 1 year duration.

post grad diploma and certificate are two different things?

hadiyawar

Jun 6, 2016
NOC Code......
Always go for master's first and then only Graduate certificate of you cant get into master's. These are safest bets.
Show some property in your name in Pakistan in a CA certificate to show home ties. Yes taking care of parents is also one good option.
Huge study gap is not a problem.
Always go for 2 year programs. It will be easy to convert the PGWP into a PR if you want. 1 year will be too tight. Dont do it!
Thanks a lot.
post grad diploma and certificates are two different levels of study or the same with different terms? The course I mentioned is apparently a post grad cert as per their website. And having a bachelors degree is one of the admission requirements.

Not too sure about masters, I found a few but their course outline is weird. This one is more on point of what I need. My main concern was its level. Whether its lower level than bachelors.
yes diploma I understand it must be lower level since their admission requirements is high school.
Got it about pgwp and 2 yr study. But haven’t found a lot of courses with 2 years post grad certificate. 2 yrs are diploma courses. How about if I get accepted, then enrol on another 1 yr post grad the year after - does that help?

hadiyawar

Jun 6, 2016
NOC Code......
if not eligible for master then post graduate diploma is also an option, but this is minor issue, having brother in canada as a PR is one of the most weakest ties and ur visa will be rejection chances are more than 80% so i will suggest u do not apply urself as u can make weak LOE, go through ircc registered consultant as he can prepare ur file well
yes, not really ideal having brother there :)
Fair point about ircc registered consultant. They can be based anywhere or is it a negative point too if they are canada based lawyer/consultant?
thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you.
Yes I have been looking for post grad diploma etc. The Art Direction course that I’m talking about is apparently a post grad certificate and they have also mentioned in the details.

Below is directly from their website
‘At Humber, we offer one-year postgraduate certificates in Advertising Copywriting, Account Management and Art Direction.’
i didn’t find masters good enough. Their course outlines are weird. This post grad certificate seems on point of what I was looking for. Only negative point is this is 1 year duration.

post grad diploma and certificate are two different things?
Your profile is weakened by the fact you have a brother in Canada who is a PR. So you need to pick a really strong path for your studies in Canada. My recommendation is that you take a 2 year post graduate diploma (not certificate) at a minimum. Master's would be better.

hadiyawar

Jun 6, 2016
NOC Code......
Your profile is weakened by the fact you have a brother in Canada who is a PR. So you need to pick a really strong path for your studies in Canada. My recommendation is that you take a 2 year post graduate diploma (not certificate) at a minimum. Master's would be better.
Thanks, got it.
so from your response it seems that post grad diploma and post grad certificate are separate credentials.
Will search for better ones before making a final choice. Thank you! Appreciate it

Vycanis

Star Member
Mar 19, 2018
Thanks, got it.
so from your response it seems that post grad diploma and post grad certificate are separate credentials.
Will search for better ones before making a final choice. Thank you! Appreciate it

Salam, I'm in the same boat I guess. My visa has been refused twice as I've done a bachelors degree in accounting and went for a diploma course in accounting from Humber. However, now I wanted to go for a post-graduation diploma but I don't see any PGD in Humber's program list. they have an Ontario graduation certificate in Professional accounting and I'm not sure it's the same as Post graduation diploma or not. although it does require a bachelors degree requirement, I thought it's equal to PGD but a friend told me they are not the same.

did you find out anything about it?

Thanks

hadiyawar

Jun 6, 2016
NOC Code......
Salam, I'm in the same boat I guess. My visa has been refused twice as I've done a bachelors degree in accounting and went for a diploma course in accounting from Humber. However, now I wanted to go for a post-graduation diploma but I don't see any PGD in Humber's program list. they have an Ontario graduation certificate in Professional accounting and I'm not sure it's the same as Post graduation diploma or not. although it does require a bachelors degree requirement, I thought it's equal to PGD but a friend told me they are not the same.

Thanks

Thanks
walaikumsalam
No, not much luck. But from few places I searched and that I spoke to Humber college as well, it seems like both are different.
Yes, me neither, haven’t found post grad diploma in many other colleges/uni’s. So I’m looking for masters instead as few people pointed here as well.

Harper@Canada

Dec 4, 2021
walaikumsalam
No, not much luck. But from few places I searched and that I spoke to Humber college as well, it seems like both are different.
Yes, me neither, haven’t found post grad diploma in many other colleges/uni’s. So I’m looking for masters instead as few people pointed here as well.
You guys could search for colleges in BC, most of which provide two years PGD programs.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria

Thanks

Hello Vycanis,

There is not much difference between a PGC and PGD. The difference tends to be the duration of the study. They both are a post-university certificate program and well-suited for industry professionals.

Reading through your profile, I see that you have a pure and strong academic background in Accounting, and have professional experience in areas that cut-across business operations. You may want to consider a sub-field/-course like Business Insight & Analytics, Business Technology Analytics, etc.

It will be easy for you to show a correlation between your prospective study and your previous study and experience. As it is, a study closely related to your experience domain is a suitable course to opt for. You can adjust your job responsibilities on your résumé to align with business operations coupled with accounting duties. Note that these two fields are professionally and academically intertwined. How you demonstrate it to the officer is what matters.

– JS

hadiyawar

Jun 6, 2016
NOC Code......
Hello Vycanis,

There is not much difference between a PGC and PGD. The difference tends to be the duration of the study. They both are a post-university certificate program and well-suited for industry professionals.

Reading through your profile, I see that you have a pure and strong academic background in Accounting, and have professional experience in areas that cut-across business operations. You may want to consider a sub-field/-course like Business Insight & Analytics, Business Technology Analytics, etc.

It will be easy for you to show a correlation between your prospective study and your previous study and experience. As it is, a study closely related to your experience domain is a suitable course to opt for. You can adjust your job responsibilities on your résumé to align with business operations coupled with accounting duties. Note that these two fields are professionally and academically intertwined. How you demonstrate it to the officer is what matters.

– JS
Hello
Thanks, that’s kind of helpful to me as well.
so I found a two year post grad course which is a sub-field course as you mentioned.
My occupation is advertising/designing and the course I found is a business management course with an option for specialisation in Advertising media management in its 3rd semester. Thought its a straightforward correlation between my study and experience. Obviously mentioning that I have full experience in advertising but wish to explore business management side of the industry (to help me open up an agency in near future - which I intend to regardless)

on a different note, I’m bit confused about whats the strong statement/reason with home ties.
I’m in uae (where almost everyone is a temporary worker since there’s no permanent residency) and I figured I have two ways to approach the statement:
1) get a letter from my company (in uae) that they will be happy to have me back after my study period is over (I have been with them a long time already) or
2) that this course would help me understand business aspects of the industry and I plan to open an agency in my home country (Pakistan) after studies i.e after study I will go to Pakistan and not UAE. Also, my retired parents are in Pakistan so it would be good to be there to take care of them. Keeping in mind, I haven’t permanently lived in Pakistan for almost 2 decades. Visited regularly, but not lived a long time.
If I go with option 2, then would it anyway impact if my brother (PR in canada) applies for parents visitor visa? Would it impact their visit visa application considering that I would’ve mentioned that they’re in Pakistan (at time of my study permit application)?

thank you