+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Six month Rule for PR

badlyshaken

May 16, 2009
I have just heard about six month rule about PR.Is is true that PR has to go back to Canada in six month's. If PR stays in home country for more then 6 months he/she has to contact high commission. I am in India from last 6 months.I have my Pr Card with me and is valid till 2013. Please advice.[/b]

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, it's not true. You need to reside in Canada for 2 years out of 5 to maintain PR status. You've already landed so unless you have been out of Canada for 3 years, you are fine.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
6 out of 12 months was the way it used to be. You may have been talking to somebody who did not know they had changed the rules. I think they changed around 2004 or so. I have not heard of any plans to change it back. The current rule is at least 2 out of 5 years in Canada or maximum 3 years outside.

crochetdonna

Apr 20, 2009
OK then I am confused. In a thread that I had posted asking about my 13 year old daughter that didn't want to move to Canada with me I was told that I should go ahead and do the sponsorship and get her PR that if she just stayed with me one month out of each year that she could keep her PR status?? Is that not true??

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No! It's not true! She needs to live in Canada for 2 years out of 5 in order to maintain PR. Somebody actually said 1 month a year??? Ugh!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She will not keep her PR if she only stays with you one month a year but it will keep her from losing it until you have been in Canada long enough to apply for your and hers citizenship at the same time. See, you have to live in Canada as a PR for 3 years before you can apply for citizenship. If your daughter gets her PR at the same time as you but never goes to Canada at all, she will have lost her PR by the time you apply for citizenship. If she comes and visits you for a month a year, she will not have lost it by the time you apply. Minor children have to meet residency requirements for PR like everybody else but they do not have to meet residency requirements to apply for citizenship as long as the parent who applies for them meets the requirements.