+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sister in law visiting Canada

Fizzybe

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Toronto, ON
Hello everyone,

my sister in law (husband’s sister) wants to visit Canada primarily to see us and especially our newborn daughter in March.

she has a Turkish passport and a German travel document. She is an admitted refugee with residence in Germany and she’s currently attending university in second year.

we are wondering whether it makes more sense to apply with her Turkish passport or German travel document to increase her chances? I’m a Canadian citizen and my husband is a permanent resident.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
She could use either, and may want to provide both in the application if her Turkish passport proves her travel history. In either case, she will have a tough challenge getting a visa.

She shouldn't be coming to care for the child. Make sure that she had tourism purposes of visit as well.

As a refugee, she will have a challenging time proving ties in her country of residence that would compel her to return to Germany. A visa officer may be concerned that she will try to claim asylum in Canada. As a student, she won't have stable employment I assume, which provides a challenge again to ties to country of residence.

SweetAngelone

Feb 12, 2020
I have a 5 year valid visa to Canada, do I have to apply for another visa visa for schooling or can I make use of my current visa for schooling in canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a 5 year valid visa to Canada, do I have to apply for another visa visa for schooling or can I make use of my current visa for schooling in canada
You need to apply for a study permit.

Reactions: SweetAngelone

SweetAngelone

Feb 12, 2020
OK thanks so much, please is the study permit the same as student visa.

Am I to apply for a study permit in Canada or in my country

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OK thanks so much, please is the study permit the same as student visa.

Am I to apply for a study permit in Canada or in my country
You should apply for the study permit from your home country. The term student visa is incorrectly used and it is really a study permit.

SweetAngelone

Feb 12, 2020
Hello

Pls a friend of mine wants to apply for a Canadian visa(Visitor) these year, her internationl passport will expire late next year (2021), is it advisable for her to renew her international passport before she apply's or she should just go ahead and apply?

SweetAngelone

Feb 12, 2020
Ok thanks, she's scared that the immigration officer might issue her 1year instead of 5years.

Being her first time to apply for visiting, like how many years visa will she be granted?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Ok thanks, she's scared that the immigration officer might issue her 1year instead of 5years.

Being her first time to apply for visiting, like how many years visa will she be granted?
It’s up to the officer, but it won’t be beyond her passport validity.
Could be a year, and if she abides by the rules , aka no overstay , she applies again and maybe is issued five years. Depends upon her travel history with other visa requiring countries . Example; USA, UK, Australia
Note being issued a five year TRV does NOT infer she can stay for five years or however long the TRV is for . Length of stay is determined upon arrival by CBSA, typically six months, but could be shorter

Last edited:
Reactions: SweetAngelone

SweetAngelone

Feb 12, 2020
Could be a year, and if she abides by the rules , aka no overstay , she applies again and maybe is issued five years. Depends upon her travel history with other visa requiring countries . Example; USA, UK, Australia
Note being issued a five ye
Note being issued a five year TRV does NOT infer she can stay for five years or however long the TRV is for . Length of stay is determined upon arrival by CBSA, typically six months, but could be shorter
Thanks so much for these useful information