+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SINP (Saskatchewan): LMO - yes or no ?

digits

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
Dear all,

I'm reading confusing information on the Saskatchewan Skilled Worker SINP.

I am planning on getting work experience in Saskatchewan with a one year IEC. After that, I want to apply for SINP.

So I start reading here: http ://w ww.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/skilled

You may qualify to apply under the SINP Skilled Workers Category if:

You live outside of Canada or you have proof of legal status in Canada, you are not a refugee claimant and you have the following:
An offer of permanent, full-time employment in Saskatchewan either in an occupation or trade in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) Matrix level "A", "B" or "0", or in a designated trade in Saskatchewan (Skilled Workers/Professionals Sub-Category).

For job opportunities currently available in Saskatchewan, please go to SaskJobs.ca.

You may qualify to apply under the SINP Existing Work Permit Category if:

You have proof of legal status in Canada, you are not a refugee claimant and you have the following:
Have worked in Saskatchewan for at least six months on a temporary work permit either in an occupation or trade that is in the NOC Matrix level "A" or "B", or in a designated trade in Saskatchewan excluding trades included in the Hospitality Sector Pilot Project (Existing Work Permit Sub-Category).
So I'm thinking: wonderfull, this won't be a problem. I understand that I can apply for SINP immediately once I get my job offer, or, I work for 6 months and can apply without a job offer. No mention of any LMO requirement.

Then I start to read the common questions: http ://w ww.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/sinp-work-permits-questions
I am working in Saskatchewan on a Temporary Work Permit. Could I be considered under the SINP?

Yes. Please refer to the Existing Work Permit sub-category of the Skilled Workers Category to check the specific requirements. Please note that the SINP only considers applicants under this sub-category if their work permit required a positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Service Canada in order to obtain the permit. If you are currently working under an open work permit you may need to apply under the broader Skilled Workers Category.
Okay, so I will have an open temporary working permit. Which means the "Existing Work Permit" is off the table, and only the first option remains. No problem you'd say ? wel...

I continue to read the common questions, and I find this:
http ://ww w.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/sinp-employers-questions

When is a foreign worker who is on a temporary work permit eligible to apply through the SINP as a skilled worker?

To be considered in this sub-category, applicants must have:
• A valid work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
• A confirmed offer of permanent, full-time employment with a Saskatchewan employer;
• Worked for more than six months under a Temporary Work Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for the employer offering them the job. Their work permit must be supported by a Service Canada's (SC) labour market confirmation or a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) exemption; and,
• A job offer in an occupation or trade in the National Occupational Classification Matrix A, B, 0 or a designated trade in Saskatchewan.
Now where did this come from. Is the common question list outdated, or is the other information about the skilled worker program incorrect.

Is there anybody who can confirm or disprove this ?

Kind regards,
Digits

JCS

Star Member
Oct 31, 2011
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 27, 2011
Doc's Request.
September 4, 2012
Nomination.....
September 19, 2012
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
November 28, 2012
Med's Done....
December 06, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Already in Canada (28/09/2010)
You can apply without LMO if you have IEC. I did the same. I applied as skilled worker with offer of employment (in Noc B I think) and it took about 11 months to get the nomination.
The LMO is necessary when you apply under skilled worker with work permit (that's supposed to be faster).

digits

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
JCS said:
You can apply without LMO if you have IEC. I did the same. I applied as skilled worker with offer of employment (in Noc B I think) and it took about 11 months to get the nomination.
The LMO is necessary when you apply under skilled worker with work permit (that's supposed to be faster).
Thank you, that's wonderfull news.

Is there a minimum time you need to work in Saskatchewan before applying ? On their website I read a requirements of 6 months, but this is probably for the skilled worker with work permit ?

For example, assume I come to Saskatchewan on an IEC in march. Assume by april I found a job. Can I then apply immediately while in the meantime working for this company ?

I've read some vague posts about the need for employers to register as well. Is this a complicated process for the employer ? I don't want to bother my future employer too much...

Again, many thanks!

JCS

Star Member
Oct 31, 2011
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 27, 2011
Doc's Request.
September 4, 2012
Nomination.....
September 19, 2012
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
November 28, 2012
Med's Done....
December 06, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Already in Canada (28/09/2010)
I don't know if it has changed but I didn't need to wait 6months to apply; I only did because it meant more points for the assessment rating. I applied before the changes last may and therefore didn't need my employer to register. From what I hear it's not complicated but time consuming (most people who have trouble were trying to get nominated just a few months before their present work visa expired and than it is stressful because of the worries of whether or not they can stay in the country). The best would be to have your Employer register ASAP and then to apply as soon as you get the go from saskatchewan. By the time they will look at your file you will be working 6 months already so even if they changed that part it shouldn't matter. Will you be able to get a seconed IEC? SINP takes at least a year in most cases for skilled worker. I was told 5 to 6 months when I applied and it took 11 months and the help of my local MLA to get my nomination before my second IEC expired.

digits

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
JCS said:
I don't know if it has changed but I didn't need to wait 6months to apply; I only did because it meant more points for the assessment rating. I applied before the changes last may and therefore didn't need my employer to register. From what I hear it's not complicated but time consuming (most people who have trouble were trying to get nominated just a few months before their present work visa expired and than it is stressful because of the worries of whether or not they can stay in the country). The best would be to have your Employer register ASAP and then to apply as soon as you get the go from saskatchewan. By the time they will look at your file you will be working 6 months already so even if they changed that part it shouldn't matter. Will you be able to get a seconed IEC? SINP takes at least a year in most cases for skilled worker. I was told 5 to 6 months when I applied and it took 11 months and the help of my local MLA to get my nomination before my second IEC expired.
From Belgium, you can only apply for IEC once. That might create some timeline gap :(

digits

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
I contacted the Saskatchewan immigration services by email (and they replied QUICK :eek:)

In case other visitors are curious: The information from JCS is still valid.

Next problem: for the skilled worker category in the SINP, you need one year full time experience in the field you have your job offer in. Another skilled profession does not count, which causes some problems for me, since at the moment I'm only working part time in that profession, +- 2 days per week, while being self employed with a lot of small customers. Almost impossible to prove :'(

Damn you cic, every time I think I figured my immigration path out, you dig up some small footnote which blasts me back to square one.