+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single to Married Status

kellevillar

Oct 8, 2017
Hello,
I have this question, I just got my work permit last week, I applied last July 2017 as Single status (I got Married last April 2017 in the Philippines, but because I did not have my Marriage Certificate yet when I renew my WP) but now, I have my Marriage Certificate with me, and it is time for me to apply for Temporary Resident Visa, will it be okay to apply as Married status in my TRV, or should I follow what I declared in my WP as Single status? I hope someone could help me. Thanks a lot!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Seems to me (and others can correct me as necessary) that you have committed misrepresentation on your work permit. You were married when you applied, despite not having a marriage certificate, and should have applied as such. If you apply as single on yout TRV application, you will be further compounding the issue, particularly if you have any plans to apply as a PR to Canada. If you apply as married, there is a significant chance they will note the status change and date of marriage and deny you for misrepresenting your status originally. Personally, I don't see any simple solutions for you.

kellevillar

Oct 8, 2017
Hello,
Thank you for your comments.
I did not state in my work permit that I was married because I do not have the proof with me. I just got the proof after I filed for WP extension. And now, it is time for me to apply for Temporary Resident Visa so I am worried about what status to fill in. Do you think if I apply as Married status and support it with the proof, it will not be conflict to my WP (single status) and yes I am planning to apply for PR after I get my IELTS this November.

kellevillar

Oct 8, 2017
The question is, even without the marriage certificate, were you legally married when you applied?
Yes I was. But after the marriage I flew back to Canada, and my mom register the marriage after I flew back because in the Philippines, it took a while for the marriage to be registered.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So you have misrepresented yourself on the work permit application. At some point in time, it may catch up to you, either when you apply for your TRV or when you apply for your PR. If you are applying for a TRV now, don't lie! Never lie to IRCC! You have to tell them your correct status. If you don't, that would be intentionally misrepresenting yourself to IRCC and will lead to a heap of trouble for you. As it stands, if they do inquire about your change in status, you may be able to convince them that it was an honest oversight on your behalf and that will be the end of it. But if you misrepresent yourself again (and these things do tend to come back and haunt you) you are facing a 5 year ban from Canada and very slim chance of ever obtaining a visa or WP again.

kellevillar

Oct 8, 2017
Oh okay. Thank you so much for your help. I am going to apply my TRV this time as Married and support it by my marriage certificate. And if they ask why my WP was single status, I will support it with a letter by explaining the reasons why. Thank you!

shiv22

Jan 28, 2020
Oh okay. Thank you so much for your help. I am going to apply my TRV this time as Married and support it by my marriage certificate. And if they ask why my WP was single status, I will support it with a letter by explaining the reasons why. Thank you!
Did you got your TRV?