+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single Parent Wanting to Move TO Canada

Feb 23, 2020
Good day everyone. I trust all is well. I would like to know more about the legalities of moving to Canada with my 5yr old son. I currently applying for AIPP program to work in Canada. After 3yrs of working there I can now have my son be with me and let me ve in Canada. I was never married to his father, has no communication with him since I got pregnant until this day. My son does not hold his father's last name. Thus, he has my last name. I would like to know of the he things that I have to go through in getting him live in Canada in line with all the requirements needed. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day everyone. I trust all is well. I would like to know more about the legalities of moving to Canada with my 5yr old son. I currently applying for AIPP program to work in Canada. After 3yrs of working there I can now have my son be with me and let me ve in Canada. I was never married to his father, has no communication with him since I got pregnant until this day. My son does not hold his father's last name. Thus, he has my last name. I would like to know of the he things that I have to go through in getting him live in Canada in line with all the requirements needed. Thank you
If you have full custody you should be fine. Not sure what kind of work you are doing but you will have to factor in the high cost of childcare. Schools only are in session from around 8:30-3pml. It depends on the school and school district. Many parents have to pay for childcare before and especially after school I order to make it to their jobs on time. There are also school holidays during the year or professional development days for teachers. Depending on where you live it is not unheard of for parents to pay $500+ a month on childcare when their children are in school. There is also 2+ months of summer holidays. Many of the summer camps are $300+/week. Childcare costs are a huge factor if you are a single parent especially if you don’t have family around. You will have to examine your salary and look what programs cost in the city where you want to live to and see what is feasible with your budget.