+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

single mother in canada

tiffcydoo

May 30, 2018
Hi there.

I'm from the Philippines and a single mother. I want to apply as immigrant in Canada but I'm a bit worried if I'll take that risk and bring my daughter with me. She's 3yrs old. Can somebody here help me to have the pros and cons and immigrating in Canada as a single mother?

Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi there.

I'm from the Philippines and a single mother. I want to apply as immigrant in Canada but I'm a bit worried if I'll take that risk and bring my daughter with me. She's 3yrs old. Can somebody here help me to have the pros and cons and immigrating in Canada as a single mother?

Thanks.
How do you propose to immigrate?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Childcare is extremely expensive. You need to be making a pretty good salary in order to pay for childcare. Even when your child enters school you will need to think of childcare after soon because school ends around 3pm sometimes earlier and during the summer. You may even need childcare before school starts. Housing is also quite expensive in many cities. Of course you also have to qualify to immigrate.

Mesh2003

Sep 6, 2017
Its possible to immigrate as a single mother if you are eligible and have enough funds to cover expenses for both you. I am also a single mother. I came here as a student when my daughter was 1 year old in 2014 and visited me last year during the summer holidays. I purposely left her with my parents because of the cost of childcare. Child care is very expensive. I am done with school and working full time now . My daughter will be relocating this June to be able to start kindergarten in September. Its a lot easier and cheaper when your child is of school age. I will have to make arrangements for before and after school care because I work from 8 to 4pm.

If you have your family back home, you can leave her with them till you settle in Canada and then she can join you. It all depends on what you want.

Reactions: cnkikw and canuck78

gsl_ph

Jan 26, 2021
Its possible to immigrate as a single mother if you are eligible and have enough funds to cover expenses for both you. I am also a single mother. I came here as a student when my daughter was 1 year old in 2014 and visited me last year during the summer holidays. I purposely left her with my parents because of the cost of childcare. Child care is very expensive. I am done with school and working full time now . My daughter will be relocating this June to be able to start kindergarten in September. Its a lot easier and cheaper when your child is of school age. I will have to make arrangements for before and after school care because I work from 8 to 4pm.

If you have your family back home, you can leave her with them till you settle in Canada and then she can join you. It all depends on what you want.
Hello,

I am also a single mother from the Philippines, I am currently on a student visa here in Ontario since 2019. I have an 8yr-old daughter left in my mother's care in the Philippines. My problem is that I did not include my daughter in my visa application since I could not afford to bring her with me yet that time. Now that I have saved enough and I do not have classes anymore (only thesis left that can be done remotely), I want her to join me here. In May last year, I started processing her on a student visa too. They have accepted basic requirements and also she finished medical exam already. Since I have stated in her application that the plan is for my mother (to who I have granted temporary legal guardianship while I'm away) to bring her here because I may not be able to go there because of COVID-19 travel restrictions, I filled up the IMM 5604 myself. Now, they are asking for a consent letter (non-accompanying parent) and court custody documents. Can I also make the consent letter or are they looking for a letter from the father?

I was never married nor lived with the father but he was written on the birth certificate of my daughter. He has not given any support nor communication since 2013 and so no relationship with my daughter too. I also don't know where he is now.
What documents can I show to prove that under Philippine Law, I have default sole custody and that I have full rights to make decisions for the interest of my daughter? I was able to get her a passport without the need to find the father. Also, before I moved here, I have solo parent ID, Brgy. certificate declaring I am a single mother, and certificate of no marriage. My NBI clearance also states I am a single parent. Can I use these documents instead along with a cover letter explaining my situation and PH law or is it better to make some sort of affidavit?