+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single mother- guidance for immigration

Dec 30, 2020
Hi, thanks for your reply. I had an idea Canada won’t work out for us if its via skilled worker. Does voluntary work count? While i was studying for my post grad i was working voluntarily to gain experience as i switched career paths. I guess it’s unfortunate, but if I were to start working now? Whats a good field to choose and apply after a year or two? What does it mean by recent Canadian education? How would that help?
Also, something i heard a few years back. Immigration on financial basis, not clear but something along those lines. You show enough funds and you get immigration.
i mean invest. Not clear

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, thanks for your reply. I had an idea Canada won’t work out for us if its via skilled worker. Does voluntary work count? While i was studying for my post grad i was working voluntarily to gain experience as i switched career paths. I guess it’s unfortunate, but if I were to start working now? Whats a good field to choose and apply after a year or two? What does it mean by recent Canadian education? How would that help?
Also, something i heard a few years back. Immigration on financial basis, not clear but something along those lines. You show enough funds and you get immigration.
Not sure what you mean by show funds. Part of the economic immigration route is to bring enough fund for your settlement. So on top of qualifying with the skill/eduction and work experience, you need to proof that you won't starve because it takes time to find a job in a new country.

There is no "show enough funds and you get immigration" as far as I know.

Dec 30, 2020
I
I meant invest in Canada. How does that work?

Dec 30, 2020
So that leaves me with not many options. I guess I will have to wait till something comes along which might help me. Till then, Will stay strong and find myself a job. Thank you for your instant replies.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- Volunteer work does not count. Only paid work experience in a skilled profession counts (i.e. NOC A , B or 0)
- Even with two years of experience, you almost certainly still will not have enough points to be selected due to your age unless you also have an advanced degree (PhD) and a job offer in Canada.
- Yes, there are some investment options available. You will need to have a net worth of a few million Canadian dollars and be prepared to spend several hundred thousand to invest in a business in Canada.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
- Volunteer work does not count. Only paid work experience in a skilled profession counts (i.e. NOC A , B or 0)
- Even with two years of experience, you almost certainly still will not have enough points to be selected due to your age unless you also have an advanced degree (PhD) and a job offer in Canada.
- Yes, there are some investment options available. You will need to have a net worth of a few million Canadian dollars and be prepared to spend several hundred thousand to invest in a business in Canada.
I am interested to know about any investment options now. I think so far, I've only heard of entrepreneur or business immigration which means that you have to be involve in setting up and running the business. (vs investor who just pay and wait for investment gain)

gsl_ph

Jan 26, 2021
Hello,

I am a single mother from the Philippines, I am currently on a student visa (PhD) here in Ontario since 2019. I have an 8yr-old daughter left in my mother's care in the Philippines. My problem is that I did not include my daughter in my visa application since I could not afford to bring her with me yet that time. Now that I have saved enough and I do not have classes anymore (only thesis left that can be done remotely), I want her to join me here. In May last year, I started processing her on a student visa too. They have accepted basic requirements and also she finished medical exam already. Since I have stated in her application that the plan is for my mother (to who I have granted temporary legal guardianship while I'm away) to bring her here because I may not be able to go there because of COVID-19 travel restrictions, I filled up the IMM 5604 myself. Now, they are asking for a consent letter (non-accompanying parent) and court custody documents. Can I also make the consent letter or are they looking for a letter from the father?

I was never married nor lived with the father but he was written on the birth certificate of my daughter. He has not given any support nor communication since 2013 and so no relationship with my daughter too. I also don't know where he is now.
What documents can I show to prove that under Philippine Law, I have default sole custody and that I have full rights to make decisions for the interest of my daughter? I was able to get her a passport without the need to find the father. Also, before I moved here, I have a solo parent ID, community certificate declaring I am a single mother, and certificate of no marriage. My police clearance also states I am a single parent. Can I use these documents instead along with a cover letter explaining my situation and referencing Philippine laws or is it better to make some sort of affidavit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am a single mother from the Philippines, I am currently on a student visa (PhD) here in Ontario since 2019. I have an 8yr-old daughter left in my mother's care in the Philippines. My problem is that I did not include my daughter in my visa application since I could not afford to bring her with me yet that time. Now that I have saved enough and I do not have classes anymore (only thesis left that can be done remotely), I want her to join me here. In May last year, I started processing her on a student visa too. They have accepted basic requirements and also she finished medical exam already. Since I have stated in her application that the plan is for my mother (to who I have granted temporary legal guardianship while I'm away) to bring her here because I may not be able to go there because of COVID-19 travel restrictions, I filled up the IMM 5604 myself. Now, they are asking for a consent letter (non-accompanying parent) and court custody documents. Can I also make the consent letter or are they looking for a letter from the father?

I was never married nor lived with the father but he was written on the birth certificate of my daughter. He has not given any support nor communication since 2013 and so no relationship with my daughter too. I also don't know where he is now.
What documents can I show to prove that under Philippine Law, I have default sole custody and that I have full rights to make decisions for the interest of my daughter? I was able to get her a passport without the need to find the father. Also, before I moved here, I have a solo parent ID, community certificate declaring I am a single mother, and certificate of no marriage. My police clearance also states I am a single parent. Can I use these documents instead along with a cover letter explaining my situation and referencing Philippine laws or is it better to make some sort of affidavit?
Your certificate declaring that you are a single mother will help. You’ll need to do some research but the Philippines may give default custody to the mother if parents are not together. I would also explain that you have not had contact with the father since 2013. You may run into issue with your mother getting a TRV and have a problem getting special authorization to travel. I would look into unaccompanied minor travel options.

aparnamohan

Jan 13, 2021
Hi I am from Kerala. I did Masters in Technology in Nanomedical Sciences and Bachelors in Technology in Biotechnology & Biochemical engineering. I have almost 6 years of work experience as research biologist and as bioinformatician till February 2020. I have a kid of 8 years old. I am currently living separately with my parents. Is it any possibility to apply for immigration program at Canada under federal workers program or any other skilled workers program? I have done IELTS General training on Dec 2020 and have an overall score of 6 and individual scores for writing 6.5, reading 6, listening 6 and speaking 6. Please reply me as soon as possible. How I will find a trustworthy Canadian government agent at my place. Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi I am from Kerala. I did Masters in Technology in Nanomedical Sciences and Bachelors in Technology in Biotechnology & Biochemical engineering. I have almost 6 years of work experience as research biologist and as bioinformatician till February 2020. I have a kid of 8 years old. I am currently living separately with my parents. Is it any possibility to apply for immigration program at Canada under federal workers program or any other skilled workers program? I have done IELTS General training on Dec 2020 and have an overall score of 6 and individual scores for writing 6.5, reading 6, listening 6 and speaking 6. Please reply me as soon as possible. How I will find a trustworthy Canadian government agent at my place. Thank you
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

Start reading about express entry. You need education assessments for your degrees. Once you have that you can set up a profile. IF your score gets you an Invitation then you will need to show that you have full custody of the your child. This is through court orders and documents. The father will need to agree and support the child’s application and agree to your child’s medical.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

chasley

Star Member
Jul 1, 2011
Your certificate declaring that you are a single mother will help. You’ll need to do some research but the Philippines may give default custody to the mother if parents are not together. I would also explain that you have not had contact with the father since 2013. You may run into issue with your mother getting a TRV and have a problem getting special authorization to travel. I would look into unaccompanied minor travel options.
Hello,

Hi, I just want to about your situation, we have somewhat the same situation for non accompanying parent. My son is illegitimate and immigration ask me for legal custody and the non accompanying form which I can't provide because I don't know the fathers whereabout ever since I got pregnant. My son is 5 years old now. I hope you could give me some information. Thank you for your help.