+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single mother- guidance for immigration

Its_me_angel

Nov 27, 2018
Hi!

I am a divorced single mother of a 1.5 year old kid. Have an MBA in finance and currently employed. Am I eligible for the Federal skilled workers program? Have practically no relatives / friends in Canada. Just want to give a great life to my kid.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

I am a divorced single mother of a 1.5 year old kid. Have an MBA in finance and currently employed. Am I eligible for the Federal skilled workers program? Have practically no relatives / friends in Canada. Just want to give a great life to my kid.
You would follow the same process as anyone else to apply. You'll need to calculate how many points you have under the Express Entry program. You most likely qualify to submit a profile for consideration. Whether you are selected will depend on how many points you have (you'll want to have at least 440 points).

Note that you must either have sole legal custody of your child or the father's permission in order to move your child to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have a good life and a comfortable job currently I would do a lot of research before moving. There is a lot of competition for finance jobs so you may have problems finding employment for a while. Daycare costs can be very high and you need to arrive by 5/6pm. Expect to continue having to pay for before school care and after school care even in school and 2 months of summer plus PD days. Unfortunately some industries still don't provide a ton of flexibility for parents. Not sure how you would manage without family, friends or a partner. I would at least wait until your child reaches school age when it gets a bit easier.

Its_me_angel

Nov 27, 2018
If you have a good life and a comfortable job currently I would do a lot of research before moving. There is a lot of competition for finance jobs so you may have problems finding employment for a while. Daycare costs can be very high and you need to arrive by 5/6pm. Expect to continue having to pay for before school care and after school care even in school and 2 months of summer plus PD days. Unfortunately some industries still don't provide a ton of flexibility for parents. Not sure how you would manage without family, friends or a partner. I would at least wait until your child reaches school age when it gets a bit easier.
Thank you so much! Great advice.
I live in Bombay and dislike the rut of Bombay life. I have been stocking up finances - and hoping to apply in jan 2020. So even if I have to move my child is 3.5 years by then.

Also, alternatively I have been researching teacher jobs in Canada and appearing for Tesol . Don’t want a finance job- would take up a job that allows me to spend more time with h my child. Any upfront straight advice is appreciated.

Its_me_angel

Nov 27, 2018
You would follow the same process as anyone else to apply. You'll need to calculate how many points you have under the Express Entry program. You most likely qualify to submit a profile for consideration. Whether you are selected will depend on how many points you have (you'll want to have at least 440 points).

Note that you must either have sole legal custody of your child or the father's permission in order to move your child to Canada.

Thanks for the legal advice. Duly noted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much! Great advice.
I live in Bombay and dislike the rut of Bombay life. I have been stocking up finances - and hoping to apply in jan 2020. So even if I have to move my child is 3.5 years by then.

Also, alternatively I have been researching teacher jobs in Canada and appearing for Tesol . Don’t want a finance job- would take up a job that allows me to spend more time with h my child. Any upfront straight advice is appreciated.
Quite difficult to teach in Canada without Canadian teaching certification. You should look at the requirements per province. There is also a surplus of teachers in many areas leading to many years of substitute teaching or part-time work before getting a full-time job. Your plan may sound good but may be harder than expected. Switching cities, jobs, etc. is a lot of changes at once.

Its_me_angel

Nov 27, 2018
Quite difficult to teach in Canada without Canadian teaching certification. You should look at the requirements per province. There is also a surplus of teachers in many areas leading to many years of substitute teaching or part-time work before getting a full-time job. Your plan may sound good but may be harder than expected. Switching cities, jobs, etc. is a lot of changes at once.

I know lots of changes at once. I still have time to think so taking it slow and researching extensively. Been through a heart wrenching separation, so want to start afresh and move away from memories from India.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Best of luck. Would make sure to account for housing costs and daycare/childcare/camp costs. You may discover that your lifestyle will be significantly worse than your current lifestyle especially in the big cities.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed with the comment above. Make sure you research child care costs. They are extremely high in Canada.

Engr_Sam

Nov 5, 2019
I know lots of changes at once. I still have time to think so taking it slow and researching extensively. Been through a heart wrenching separation, so want to start afresh and move away from memories from India.
i wish u good luck
so whats your status have u already applied or still thinking of applying?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dec 30, 2020
The OP applied through Express Entry.
I am in a similar situation, recently divorced with a child. Though, I have studied in a Canadian university back in 2001-07, i have no work experience, but a recent teaching degree and also a tesol. How must a single parent apply now? I have recently moved back home and plan to work. I probably don’t qualify for skilled worker because i have no work experience since the 2010. Please advise, what jobs should I consider to qualify for immigration in the long run. I am 37 now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am in a similar situation, recently divorced with a child. Though, I have studied in a Canadian university back in 2001-07, i have no work experience, but a recent teaching degree and also a tesol. How must a single parent apply now? I have recently moved back home and plan to work. I probably don’t qualify for skilled worker because i have no work experience since the 2010. Please advise, what jobs should I consider to qualify for immigration in the long run. I am 37 now.
There is no special immigration program for single parents. You would need to qualify and apply through the same immigration programs as anyone else. If you don't have any work experience sing 2010, then there really aren't any options for you to immigrate at this time.

You'll need to have at least one year of work experience to potentially qualify to apply. However your age is also really working against you and it will be very difficult for you to qualify at this point without recent Canadian work experience, recent Canadian education, a higher degree such as a PhD, and/or a job offer in Canada (which are extremely difficult to obtain).

Reactions: YVR123
Dec 30, 2020
Hi, thanks for your reply. I had an idea Canada won’t work out for us if its via skilled worker. Does voluntary work count? While i was studying for my post grad i was working voluntarily to gain experience as i switched career paths. I guess it’s unfortunate, but if I were to start working now? Whats a good field to choose and apply after a year or two? What does it mean by recent Canadian education? How would that help?
Also, something i heard a few years back. Immigration on financial basis, not clear but something along those lines. You show enough funds and you get immigration.