+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single mother from US to relocate to Canada

Evn92

Nov 18, 2019
Hi everyone! Im from United States. Im a single mother of my 8yr and I feel like we will be better off in Canada! How do i even start to make my way over there! Can i juat get a passport ans drive over and find a job? Can i get into a shelter over there until i find employment ? Can i get goverment assistants until i get settled or do i need to be a pr? I need help someone

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone! Im from United States. Im a single mother of my 8yr and I feel like we will be better off in Canada! How do i even start to make my way over there! Can i juat get a passport ans drive over and find a job? Can i get into a shelter over there until i find employment ? Can i get goverment assistants until i get settled or do i need to be a pr? I need help someone
No - that's not how it works. You cannot simply relocate to Canada based on your US passport. If you wish to move to Canada, you either need to apply to immigrate first or get a job offer and move on a work permit. You will not qualify for government assistance - when you come, you'll need to make sure you have the funds to support yourself and your child.

Generally speaking, it's next to impossible to find a job before you are a permanent resident unless you have very specialized / rare experience or capabilities. So I would recommend you first focus on applying for permanent residency. You will need to qualify through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry based on your level of education, work experience, language abilities and other factors. You will also need to show that you have sufficient money in savings to establish yourself in Canada. This will be around $15,000 for two individuals. Further information about the Express Entry program can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Note that you will need written premission from your child's father to bring your child to Canada (unless you have legal sole custody awarded by the courts).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also encourage you to do some research on the cost of living, cost of childcare,/summer camps, etc. if you do qualify to immigrate. I am not sure how much you know about Canada but your assumption may be incorrect.