+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single Certificate for Marriage Abroad

sephr1k

May 4, 2016
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right section, however as part of the process for sponsoring my wife to Canada I need to obtain a marriage certificate abroad since we married in Cambodia. They have requested a letter from Canada proving that I am single.

Any ideas on how I could obtain this letter or what kind of documents could contain this information? The nearest Embassy to me is in Thailand.

Thanks.

htquach

Feb 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 4, 2016
AOR Received.
March 11, 2016; AOR2: April 1, 2016
File Transfer...
March 22, 2016
Med's Done....
January 10, 2016
Interview........
Queued: August 25, 2016 - Interview: October 18, 2016
Passport Req..
November 22, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
Touchdown... YEG!!! December 26, 2016
I think this is what you are looking for?

A Single Status Declaration or Single Status Affidavit is a document that, at minimum, states your present marital status, the name and citizenship of your future spouse, as well as your permanent address in Canada. Once the document has been drafted, it must be signed and then notarized by a Canadian Notary Public.

What is notarization?

To have a document notarized means to have a specially authorized person, called a Notary Public, witness the signing of the document. The Notary Public will then place their signature and stamp on the document, certifying that they have witnessed the signature and verified the identity of the parties involved.

Tips

If you need to sign the document in question, make sure you sign it in front of the notary. They need to actually watch you sign the document, so don’t do it in advance.
Make sure that the notary signs the document and also has their name clearly printed. The Department of Foreign Affairs will reject a document if they cannot read the name of the notary.
What is next?

Now that you have your Single Status Declaration notarized, it is ready to be authenticated and legalized for use abroad. The authentication and legalization process enables Canadian documents to be recognized in another country.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and each diplomatic mission have very specific requirements for the authentication and legalization of Canadian documents. It is very important to do your research in advance to ensure your documents are prepared correctly.

See link for example: http://www.romanticplanet.ca/sample/solemn%20declaration%20sample.pdf

Shineon39

Dec 3, 2015
Yellowknife, Northwest territories
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
22-10-2015
Nomination.....
Csq received 26-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2015 AOR2: 07-01-2016
File Transfer...
17-12-2015
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-09-2016
sephr1k said:
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right section, however as part of the process for sponsoring my wife to Canada I need to obtain a marriage certificate abroad since we married in Cambodia. They have requested a letter from Canada proving that I am single.

Any ideas on how I could obtain this letter or what kind of documents could contain this information? The nearest Embassy to me is in Thailand.

Thanks.
Me I got it at the Canadian embassy in Bangkok, but i know there is no canadian embassy in cambodia. You can do an affidavit here in Canada And I don't know about the other province but in Quebec the provincial goverment can provide an official document stating that you're single, in exchange of 150$ of course lol

gabba50

Mar 16, 2016
Calgary,AB
Category........
Visa Office......
DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2016
AOR Received.
30-03-2016
File Transfer...
05-04-2016
Med's Done....
13-01-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2016
LANDED..........
11-09-2016
sephr1k said:
Hi all,

Thanks.
I requested the same letter stating that I am single in Canada, I don't know your province but in Alberta you can request it at any any registry, it is called MARRIAGE SEARCH LETTER or MARRIAGE RECORD SEARCH, I paid $60 and it takes about 2 weeks, or contact vital statistics department in your province. What is your province? otherwise you might need a certificate of non-impediment:
http://www.international.gc.ca/department-ministere/authentication-authentification_documents.aspx?lang=eng#docs_statements

sephr1k

May 4, 2016
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention that I am from Ontario and currently reside in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

I read over the link given by gabba50 and noticed one part mentions:
"Please note: Some countries require the Statement In Lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad to be issued in Canada, before you travel, and will not accept a document issued by a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate abroad."

I also e-mailed the Consular Services in Cambodia regarding this certificate and in the email they mentioned:
"For Canadian Citizens: Letter in Lieu of a Certificate of No Impediment to Marry

Please check the latest requirement from Cambodian authorities as we have been informed that since late 2014, our letters were not accepted for some cases.

Please contact the Office of the Embassy of Canada to complete the attached affidavit for this letter. While we are unable to issue Certificates of No Impediment to Marry for a Canadian citizen, we can issue a letter in lieu of the certificate."

The cost of this letter will be $120, and it sounds like the success is not even guaranteed.

Should I bother to do it anyways? Is there anything else that can substitute?

I considered trying to sponsor my Wife as common law instead but while we've been living together for 4 years now we have been paying cash rent with no receipts so it's difficult for us to prove we've lived together (unless photos count).

byn2013

Apr 19, 2014
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
sephr1k said:
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention that I am from Ontario and currently reside in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

I read over the link given by gabba50 and noticed one part mentions:
"Please note: Some countries require the Statement In Lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad to be issued in Canada, before you travel, and will not accept a document issued by a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate abroad."

I also e-mailed the Consular Services in Cambodia regarding this certificate and in the email they mentioned:
"For Canadian Citizens: Letter in Lieu of a Certificate of No Impediment to Marry

Please check the latest requirement from Cambodian authorities as we have been informed that since late 2014, our letters were not accepted for some cases.

Please contact the Office of the Embassy of Canada to complete the attached affidavit for this letter. While we are unable to issue Certificates of No Impediment to Marry for a Canadian citizen, we can issue a letter in lieu of the certificate."

The cost of this letter will be $120, and it sounds like the success is not even guaranteed.

Should I bother to do it anyways? Is there anything else that can substitute?

I considered trying to sponsor my Wife as common law instead but while we've been living together for 4 years now we have been paying cash rent with no receipts so it's difficult for us to prove we've lived together (unless photos count).
i think you should ask the Cambodian authorities first(if you can't speak khmer, ask your khmer friend to do that).

Mithra31

Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, CA
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
I would like to go to Sri Lanka for my marriage.

In order to get married there I need a single status affidavit I’m PR in Canada and my birth country is Afghanistan,

Does anyone know where can I get it, should I go to Afghanistan embassy or get it from a Canadian office?