+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

single but married

May 27, 2011
hi there, i am married but still uses my maiden name. am married since 1995 and in 1997 i've been seperated with my husband due to womanizing. to my dismay, i decided not to change anything in my passport, my bank statements, including my work, etc.. i also went back to school last 2001 and still uses my single name. can i still apply for migration in canada using my singleness?thanks..hope you help me on this..

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
If you are separated and not legally divorced, I think you may have to include your husband on your forms and have him attend medical, unless you have him sign forms saying he is not interested. I don't have a reference for that at hand, but it really rings a bell. Hopefully, someone will be more on the ball than I am about this and be able to give you more advice.

V

visheshmalhotra13

Yes, you will have to show that you are divorced, else you will have to include your husband in application.

Star Member
Apr 25, 2011
correct as separation just keep one another away from each other but not in full capacity as there is still legal bond inbetween, while divorced and or annulment gives each of them to do what ever they want as they are legally separated...

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
I also second what above posted. IF you are married you are married, untill decided by the court.
Proof has to be provided.

Else their is Non-Accompanying Spouse, but, like mentioned above. The Guide says;

All applicants must undergo a medical examination.
You and your family members, whether they will be accompanying you or not, must undergo and pass a medical examination. (Page 40)....

The Guide also mentions that they have to Fill the Schedule 1 Background Declaration form and Additional Family Form;

your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not);
your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not) (Page 26)....and (Page 31)..

If you are in stale relationship, and make the points. You can file for a divorce, but, we can just suggest only, without considering real life implication, practicality of the decision has to be made by you and your family.

So like they say easier said than done.

Time is short if you want to apply, as after June 30th, there may be or may be not many changes to the Immigration process.
Best of Luck