+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Singapore Certificate of Clearance for Citizenship application (not PR)

SingYeah

Star Member
Oct 21, 2018
Hi All,

Has anyone recently applied for COC while residing outside Singapore? I left SG in 2019 and need the certificate to complete my citizen application.

I am referencing the following two links on the process:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/singapore.html
https://eservices.police.gov.sg/content/policehubhome/homepage/certificate-of-clearance-hub.html

The first link it seems is relevant for those applying for PR, couldn't find anything related to citizenship app.

The Singapore government link (for the appeal before the request to grant COC), list various ways but I am not sure which one to pick - I don't have a SingPass or any documentary request to apply for COC.

EDIT: How do I get the letter from Overseas Authority for the purpose of this application?

I would appreciate if you had the insight on above. Thanks.

Last edited:

callmebyyourname

Mar 11, 2022
I did 6 years ago, but for the study permit while I resided in the Philippines.

As same your first link mentioned, the Canadian gov will send you a letter to request after you submit the application.
I guess that is how the Singapore police system works, you can't prepare COC upfront.

Once I had that letter of requirement from Canada, I mailed it to the Singapore police office with my scanned passport, a hardcopy fingerprint from the Philippine police (just to verify the fingerprint and my passport are from the same person) and a bank check.
I can't remember what happened but they didn't accept the check, so my friend in Singapore had to come over and pay in person.

After accepting my document, Singapore police took 2 weeks to process and 2 weeks to mail back to the Philippines.
So for now, you can submit without Singapore COC, Canada gov will ask when they need it.

Back in 2018, I also used the same Singapore COC to apply for PR. Didn't you already have it when you got the PR?

Hi All,

Has anyone recently applied for COC while residing outside Singapore? I left SG in 2019 and need the certificate to complete my citizen application.

I am referencing the following two links on the process:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/singapore.html
https://eservices.police.gov.sg/content/policehubhome/homepage/certificate-of-clearance-hub.html

The first link it seems is relevant for those applying for PR, couldn't find anything related to citizenship app.

The Singapore government link (for the appeal before the request to grant COC), list various ways but I am not sure which one to pick - I don't have a SingPass or any documentary request to apply for COC.

EDIT: How do I get the letter from Overseas Authority for the purpose of this application?

I would appreciate if you had the insight on above. Thanks.

SingYeah

Star Member
Oct 21, 2018
There is no request sent by the Canadian gov. for the citizenship application (not sure about PR though) - I am not aware if there is any such letter that we can request.

I submitted COC appeal application using the link above and heard back from Singapore Police to move head with the fingerprinting process.

I mailed the prints and now awaiting to hear back from them.

ethan86

Star Member
Dec 6, 2017
nlhugh - that's a useful link to share when requesting the COC.
I didn't provide any document for it at all. I've only provided the information in one of the box they asked for more information.
Mentioned that I need it for my citizenship application.

Reactions: nlhugh

nlhugh

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
I didn't provide any document for it at all. I've only provided the information in one of the box they asked for more information.
Mentioned that I need it for my citizenship application.
Yes, initially in the appeal, I didn't provide any document, but only mentioned I need it for citizenship application. They emailed me just asking for any document proof, and suggested to me that I can use the checklist from the application package.