+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN

matart

Jul 23, 2009
dear all,
my immigration is to Ontario, my question is if i can apply for my SIN (Social Insurance Number) from Montreal Quebec

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why do you want to apply for a SIN in Montreal if you are immigrating to ON? This may raise eyebrows in Montreal because when you apply as a skilled worker, you state that you are not planning on living in Quebec. If you wanted to immigrate to Quebec, you should have applied as a Quebec skilled worker.

If you have some other reasons for wanting to apply for a SIN in Montreal, say extended vacation in Montreal before you settle in Ontario, you can explain that when you apply for a SIN, that is if you are even asked. If you are planning on settling in Quebec instead of Ontario, it would be advisable to land in Ontario, apply for your SIN there and then go to Quebec.

matart

Jul 23, 2009
Leon
thanks a lot for your professional advice, do you think that if i get a job in Montreal, that i can live there without any problem, and i still have the right to apply for citizenship after 3 years, or they'll reject my application because i lived in Montreal instead of Ontario?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
matart said:
Leon
thanks a lot for your professional advice, do you think that if i get a job in Montreal, that i can live there without any problem, and i still have the right to apply for citizenship after 3 years, or they'll reject my application because i lived in Montreal instead of Ontario?
I don't think you will have a problem as long as you land outside Quebec and stay there at least for long enough to apply for your SIN. If anybody ever asks, you can say you looked for a job there and got an offer from Montreal instead. A PR has the right to live and work anywhere in Canada but you also don't want anybody to be able to say that you lied to immigration stating you were planning to live outside Quebec when you were planning on living in Quebec all along.