+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sin number

Johnny1025

Star Member
Jul 13, 2019
Hey everyone,

I applied for a sin number and I live in Ontario, however the sin number starts with a 1

Isnt Ontario sin suppose to start with a 5?

anyone with this problem?

Thanks

mehrakh

Nov 2, 2021
Hey everyone,

I applied for a sin number and I live in Ontario, however the sin number starts with a 1

Thanks

the first number always mean something
but , as long as you have it, don't worry about the anything. its government matter.

fernandaontario

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Barrie
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
the first number always mean something
but , as long as you have it, don't worry about the anything. its government matter.
Omg it happened to me as well!!!!! I had a previous SIN number as a worker but I changed it when I got PR… received on the mail, saw the 1 and didn’t think anything about it until yesterday when I applied for a credit card and the lady at the bank asked me if I had lived or being on Nova Scotia, PEI or Newfoundland… I was so confused! She told me the 1 at the beginning is for someone who resides there so I don’t know what the heck that happened… I’m a resident of Ontario, we should have a 4 or 5 in front. I called services Canada and they were supposed to send me an email with the information of how to fix it but they haven’t. I’m gonna call back tomorrow.

miguelca

May 6, 2021
People love to make a problem when there is none.

It does not matter whats the first digit, the last digit, where you got it, if it was raining when you went to Service Canada or if you used Firefox instead of Chrome when you applied online.

It’s a SIN for all Canada. For all purposes.

But if you want loose sleep, and waste your time, and Service Canada Agent time, be my guest.

fernandaontario

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Barrie
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
Hey everyone,

Thanks
After receiving my pr card on the mail, I noticed my case was moved from Etobicoke to Sydney, Nova Scotia so I’m guessing that’s why my SIN number starts with a 1

fernandaontario

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Barrie
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
People love to make a problem when there is none.

It does not matter whats the first digit, the last digit, where you got it, if it was raining when you went to Service Canada or if you used Firefox instead of Chrome when you applied online.

It’s a SIN for all Canada. For all purposes.

But if you want loose sleep, and waste your time, and Service Canada Agent time, be my guest.
“People” can get worried when they don’t know if something is correct or not. “People” here are not Canadians who know how the system works. This forum is here so we can exchange ideas and help each other out. Have a little more of empathy and if you don’t have anything good to say, maybe just keep it to yourself instead of “making a problem when there is none”

Reactions: SophieWitwe

Djendoian83

Sep 5, 2018
Mine came too with 1. I called service Canada and the agent said it’s ok, from now in Ontario sins will start with 1 too