+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN number

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Has anyone tried to apply for their SIN recently by going to a Service Canada without booking an appointment beforehand?

It's not clear from the Service Canada website whether you can't go there for a walk-in service, or whether they would just prefer that you not.
When i applied, admittedly a while ago, they just said that walk-in is for special cases, and they're processing most normal cases online.

Apply online, it's pretty quick. You will still need a mailing address however, because you receive a letter with your sin number.

Last edited:
Reactions: gallagher11

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
When i applied, admittedly a while ago, they just said to that walk-in is for special cases, and they're processing most normal cases online.

Apply online, it's pretty quick. You will still need a mailing address however, because you receive a letter with your sin number.
My main concern with applying online (or by mail) is having to wait several days or weeks for them to issue a SIN, versus doing it in person. Do you remember how long it took for them to send you your SIN in the mail?

Though it's good news if you can start working without the actual SIN number as PrincessButtercup's post indicates.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It doesn't take long, 2 or 3 days, it takes a few more days because it's sent by mail, in all it may have been a week.

visu7190

Jan 11, 2021
Hi Everyone, want some guidance on the SIN application, What address did you use for the SIN application? Should we find a Permenant Accomodation like a Rental home before applying for SIN ? Please share your experiences.

Choudhary2800

Star Member
Oct 1, 2019
I applied on the 1st of February online around 11pm, the SIN was mailed out on the 5th of February and I received it on February 12th
Hi, sorry I have a question. Your SIN was mailed out on 5th means you got ur SIN number copy by email or they informed you that they shipped your SIN number?

CBAB

Feb 6, 2023
Thank you so much. I just manage to get in touch with IRCC(whole day non stop calling, 8 am till 3 pm)the root cause was my data base when i landed. They reason is the print out work permit was not confirm in their system and Service Canada, London could not access from their end on 13 October when i 1st applied to proceed and it was finally mentioned resolved on 21 November and yet when i walk in person on 24 November to Service Canada, the agent still unable to process. Today, 26 November i went again to check my status and they said my document being transfer to Ottawa main office under waiting list to be process. Im sure i have to wait another 1 or 2 months to get my SIN. I shall end up 4 months being jobless.
I’m in a similar situation and been waiting for 2months now . How did you contact IRCC please ?