+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN number

Lemonja

Aug 18, 2020
Hi, I recently received a work permit and applied for SIN number online on October 20th.
I would like to know how long does it take to receive a sin by postal mail these days.

also, I would like to know if I am allowed to work while waiting for SIN. I realized that I need to submit a sin within 3 days from the starting date.
If working without sin is illigal, I feel so unfair we can not receive SIN immediately due to Covid 19....

Wooi

Nov 16, 2020
Hi I apply twice in person at Service Canada but still unable to get the SIN. The agent unable inform what is the cause. Does anyone face this similar to issue? And if yes, have your problem solve and let me know your case. Thanks

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Hi I apply twice in person at Service Canada but still unable to get the SIN. The agent unable inform what is the cause. Does anyone face this similar to issue? And if yes, have your problem solve and let me know your case. Thanks
If you have a work permit or a study permit which allows you to work off campus, you shouldn't have any problem to get a SIN number. Service Canada has to be able to tell you why they can't give you one. You can send them a service request online and a representative will call you about your case.

Wooi

Nov 16, 2020
If you have a work permit or a study permit which allows you to work off campus, you shouldn't have any problem to get a SIN number. Service Canada has to be able to tell you why they can't give you one. You can send them a service request online and a representative will call you about your case.
I had apply in person on 13 October 2020 and attended again in person on 29 October 2020, the agent fail to give me a reason why i cant apply. So why i need to juggle myself to request service online for an answer?

Wooi

Nov 16, 2020
I had apply in person on 13 October 2020 and attended again in person on 29 October 2020, the agent fail to give me a reason why i cant apply. So why i need to juggle myself to request service online for an answer?
Its just frustrating failing to get an SIN applied in person at Service Canada office and unable to know the reason.

Wooi

Nov 16, 2020
Hi, I recently received a work permit and applied for SIN number online on October 20th.
I would like to know how long does it take to receive a sin by postal mail these days.

also, I would like to know if I am allowed to work while waiting for SIN. I realized that I need to submit a sin within 3 days from the starting date.
If working without sin is illigal, I feel so unfair we can not receive SIN immediately due to Covid 19....
You should apply in person and if nothing go wrong, should be obtain immediately.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
If you want a SIN then you do, or go in person and ask for a reason why you can't get one.

Your choice.

I suggested to ask for service request: https://eservices.canada.ca/en/service/

In which you can state your inability to obtain a SIN and then when the rep calls you, they will know the background to your application and will be in a better situation to provide you an answer.

Or don't and live without one.

Wooi

Nov 16, 2020
If you want a SIN then you do, or go in person and ask for a reason why you can't get one.

Your choice.

I suggested to ask for service request: https://eservices.canada.ca/en/service/

In which you can state your inability to obtain a SIN and then when the rep calls you, they will know the background to your application and will be in a better situation to provide you an answer.

Or don't and live without one.
Thank you for your suggest. All being done before i ask here in this FORUM. I just need to find out someone who has a similar case like i do and how is the final outcome.

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Its just frustrating failing to get an SIN applied in person at Service Canada office and unable to know the reason.
When you go in, are they telling you you can't APPLY, or that they can't ISSUE you the SIN on the spot?

If you can't apply, it would probably be because you're not eligible, or that you don't have the proper documents with you.

If they can't issue it to you on the spot, your existing SIN application might have been referred to the NIS, National Identity Services. It happens to some people, myself included, over known or unknown errors on Service Canada's end, not yours. If it's going through approvals with the NIS, it can take a couple of months to get a SIN. I applied online on September 28th and was just told on November 23rd that my SIN was processed and mailed out to me. This was after 3 calls to Service Canada, and one in-person visit. They never informed me that my processing would take longer, so it was very frustrating to not know what was going on. It was up to me to press them to find out what the delay was. So, if you have successfully submitted an application that hasn't been rejected, and you're still waiting for your SIN, this might be your case. Don't be afraid to ask. Be polite but firm; they are the public servants. Good luck!

Reactions: EnthuChap and Wooi

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
If you work without a SIN, you are working illegally. And processing times are 20 business days as stated on the website. Not sure what is unfair as these are normal processing times. It’s just that offices aren’t open

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html
@Lemonja You only need to prove that you've submitted and application for a SIN within 3 days of starting a new job.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html : Once you have submitted your application, legislation does not prevent you from working in insurable employment before you receive your SIN.

Wooi

Nov 16, 2020
When you go in, are they telling you you can't APPLY, or that they can't ISSUE you the SIN on the spot?

If you can't apply, it would probably be because you're not eligible, or that you don't have the proper documents with you.

If they can't issue it to you on the spot, your existing SIN application might have been referred to the NIS, National Identity Services. It happens to some people, myself included, over known or unknown errors on Service Canada's end, not yours. If it's going through approvals with the NIS, it can take a couple of months to get a SIN. I applied online on September 28th and was just told on November 23rd that my SIN was processed and mailed out to me. This was after 3 calls to Service Canada, and one in-person visit. They never informed me that my processing would take longer, so it was very frustrating to not know what was going on. It was up to me to press them to find out what the delay was. So, if you have successfully submitted an application that hasn't been rejected, and you're still waiting for your SIN, this might be your case. Don't be afraid to ask. Be polite but firm; they are the public servants. Good luck!
Thank you so much. I just manage to get in touch with IRCC(whole day non stop calling, 8 am till 3 pm)the root cause was my data base when i landed. They reason is the print out work permit was not confirm in their system and Service Canada, London could not access from their end on 13 October when i 1st applied to proceed and it was finally mentioned resolved on 21 November and yet when i walk in person on 24 November to Service Canada, the agent still unable to process. Today, 26 November i went again to check my status and they said my document being transfer to Ottawa main office under waiting list to be process. Im sure i have to wait another 1 or 2 months to get my SIN. I shall end up 4 months being jobless.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Thank you so much. I just manage to get in touch with IRCC(whole day non stop calling, 8 am till 3 pm)the root cause was my data base when i landed. They reason is the print out work permit was not confirm in their system and Service Canada, London could not access from their end on 13 October when i 1st applied to proceed and it was finally mentioned resolved on 21 November and yet when i walk in person on 24 November to Service Canada, the agent still unable to process. Today, 26 November i went again to check my status and they said my document being transfer to Ottawa main office under waiting list to be process. Im sure i have to wait another 1 or 2 months to get my SIN. I shall end up 4 months being jobless.
UGH, I'm sorry but at least now you know what the problem was and that it's moving. It's horrible that the government departments don't communicate with one another!

Also, you only have to prove to your employer that you've applied for your SIN within 3 days after starting a new job, you can work while it's being processed. "Once you have submitted your application, legislation does not prevent you from working in insurable employment before you receive your SIN." https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html#online

Reactions: gallagher11

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Has anyone tried to apply for their SIN recently by going to a Service Canada without booking an appointment beforehand?

It's not clear from the Service Canada website whether you can't go there for a walk-in service, or whether they would just prefer that you not.