+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN number Issues

TonyM

Jul 5, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am having some problems getting my SIN number, I am a canadian citizen, but I lost my citizenship card before I came to Canada, I have filled the form to replace my card in March 2009, payed the fee and I`m still waiting for it.

I was told at the Canadian Embassy in Lisbon that all I needed to get my SIN number was my canadian passport, so I came to Canada, Edmonton, tried to get my SIN number but was told that I need my Citizenship Card to get the SIN number.

My citizenship card is taking too long to get here, been calling the CIC Call center and they say it shoud get to me in a few weeks, but they say this everytime I call them, they say the process has been finalized and that the card just need to printed and sent out to me, but when?!?

Is there any other way to get the SIN number?

Thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you a dual citizen?

According to the website below, one of the primary document is that if you have a visitor record issued by CIC, indicating you are authorised to work in Canada, you can receive a temporary SIN card. I wonder if you can get your card this way at least for temporary until you can get a permanent card after you receive your citizenship card.

For details, see

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml

TonyM

Jul 5, 2010
Yes I`m a dual citizen, I am canadian and portuguese, but I lost my Citizenship card a few years ago and made an application in March 2009 but never got the card, they say that the process has been finalized and I just need to wait for the card, but they never say for how long I have to wait.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wondered if you would want a temporary SIN card for now until you receive your new citizenship card for applying a permenant SIN card.

Since you are also Portugese citizen, you can try going to CIC to get a visitor record first with your Portugese passport as well as your Canadian. You can then bring the visitor record to Service Canada for getting a temporary SIN card as I mentioned earlier. Please let me know if you got it or not. Thanks.