+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN Info and Credit Score Issue

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Hi.

I opened a bank account at Scotiabank, and requested credit card. However, my credit card request was denied.
It showed on their system that I had debt of some $500.

So, I first received my SIN number when I was 9. Now I am back in Canada as PR, I haven't used SIN number (im not sure what it means to use it). Since I came here, some places asked for my numbers (Scotiabank, Koodo Mobile, Service Canada, )

My SIN is dormant, so I already applied (May 2nd) to Service Canada to update or confirm. I haven't received a reply yet.

I was supposed to pay Koodo bill 2 days ago but haven't paid that yet.

What is that for and why? What do I need to do now?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi.

I opened a bank account at Scotiabank, and requested credit card. However, my credit card request was denied.
It showed on their system that I had debt of some $500.

So, I first received my SIN number when I was 9. Now I am back in Canada as PR, I haven't used SIN number (im not sure what it means to use it). Since I came here, some places asked for my numbers (Scotiabank, Koodo Mobile, Service Canada, )

My SIN is dormant, so I already applied (May 2nd) to Service Canada to update or confirm. I haven't received a reply yet.

I was supposed to pay Koodo bill 2 days ago but haven't paid that yet.

What is that for and why? What do I need to do now?
Check your credit score and report.

https://www.borrowell.com/free-credit-score/
https://www.creditkarma.ca/

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
I checked borrowell.
I'm showing local inquiries.
One from Telus when I purchased a Sim card. They did take my sin number at the time of registration.
Second one is from today at Scotiabank when they were processing credit card request.

I also have an open account for Koodo Mobile and says Reported April 1st. I subscribed to Koodo on April 21st.

Are these called hard inquiries? Why? And are these negative on my file?

Also the questions I got where as "Your credit file indicates that you may have an auto loan which was opened in September 2016, select provider."

What auto loan? Another question was some mortgage or something in 2014.
I don't see it after I got to the info I shared above.

Is someone potentially using my numbers? What to do now.

I am not sure what this all is about

Last edited:

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
I checked the second link.

One open account with Koodo, says reported April 27th. (my due date was May 22nd)
Worst payment status :New Account.

Address reported is there as well. I'm guessing where I was staying when I order Koodo Mobile.

I still don't have a permanent address.

Score is over 600 in orange range.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also the questions I got where as "Your credit file indicates that you may have an auto loan which was opened in September 2016, select provider."

What auto loan? Another question was some mortgage or something in 2014.
I don't see it after I got to the info I shared above.

Is someone potentially using my numbers? What to do now.

I am not sure what this all is about
Sounds like there might identity fraud and identity theft. See the link below with regards :
How can you find out if your identity was stolen

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/id-theft-vol-eng.htm

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
I contacted both credit bureau offices. They gave gave the same response that my credit file shows no activity.

Im not sure what to do from here.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I contacted both credit bureau offices. They gave gave the same response that my credit file shows no activity.

Im not sure what to do from here.
From personal experience, I know that the banks sometimes get it seriously wrong and identify people as having a negative credit HISTORY where none actually exists. TD originally identified a number of credit activities for my name when I first applied for a credit card here. They were all spurious and didn't show up in my credit REPORT.

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
From personal experience, I know that the banks sometimes get it seriously wrong and identify people as having a negative credit HISTORY where none actually exists. TD originally identified a number of credit activities for my name when I first applied for a credit card here. They were all spurious and didn't show up in my credit REPORT.
So what an I supposed to do?
I contacted both offices and they looked at my profile and saw no activity at all.
TransUnion employee asked me to go to ocs.transunion.ca to pull my record online.
The website was flagged as unsafe.

How do I make sure my record is straight without worrying about it?

Note that I submitted an application at Service Canada to update/confirm my SIN. I haven't received anything from then yet. I am not sure if it's related to this.

canadalover2018

Feb 14, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Previously Sydney, now Paris
AOR Received.
29-03-2018
I moved Canada from Iran in 2012 as a phd student with a temporary sin which expired on 2016. Till I was in Canada years everything was great I paid all my credit card etc. in 2014 I had to leave Canada due to a family problem and left some bills and credit behind, hoped to come back soon! I even tried to pay from Iran and did it once but my account got Blocked by Cibc . I called them they said you should come here! I could not!
Now 5 years passed and I am going to get back to Canada! This time with PR to another state! I need to open a bank account as I get there to rent home! I am really worry! Should I go to CIBC first? If they ask for money I may not be able pay it all! Or can I open another Bank acvount then fix problem by CIBC by your help?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I moved Canada from Iran in 2012 as a phd student with a temporary sin which expired on 2016. Till I was in Canada years everything was great I paid all my credit card etc. in 2014 I had to leave Canada due to a family problem and left some bills and credit behind, hoped to come back soon! I even tried to pay from Iran and did it once but my account got Blocked by Cibc . I called them they said you should come here! I could not!
Now 5 years passed and I am going to get back to Canada! This time with PR to another state! I need to open a bank account as I get there to rent home! I am really worry! Should I go to CIBC first? If they ask for money I may not be able pay it all! Or can I open another Bank acvount then fix problem by CIBC by your help?
If you are arriving with PR you should have a decent amount of savings to pay off your bills. Your credit should be linked to your previous SIN number but in reality you’ll have to wait and see.

Reactions: canadalover2018

canadalover2018

Feb 14, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Previously Sydney, now Paris
AOR Received.
29-03-2018
If you are arriving with PR you should have a decent amount of savings to pay off your bills. Your credit should be linked to your previous SIN number but in reality you’ll have to wait and see.
My bills were trivial but no idea how much they would be after 5 years! Definetly I would pay but when I get a job and have money! Who said a PR should have decent money?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My bills were trivial but no idea how much they would be after 5 years! Definetly I would pay but when I get a job and have money! Who said a PR should have decent money?
You do have to arrive with the POF amount and most usually arrive with more in bigger cities knowing how expensive they are. I also wouldn’t imagine an international student has access to a tremendous amount of credit.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do have to arrive with the POF amount and most usually arrive with more in bigger cities knowing how expensive they are. I also wouldn’t imagine an international student has access to a tremendous amount of credit.
Think about the possibility of the international student carries a supplementary credit card with access to tremendous amount of credit.