+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN expiration and work permit issue

Oct 7, 2019
Hamilton
Hello
My name is Divya. I’m a recent graduate student at McMaster University. I have done 2 years M.Sc program (September 2017 - August 2019)
I have a valid study permit and SIN number in Canada (September 2017- November 30th 2019).
I finished my masters and applied for online PGWP on September 12th 2019. It usually takes 104 days to receive response from IRCC. I am expecting my work permit in mid January 2020.
But there is a serious issue.
I work part time with YMCA and seeking for full time. One of the employers from a company interviewed me and is interested in hiring me.
The HR asked me, if I can provide a valid SIN number as it is expiring soon.
YMCA supervisor also reminded me about my SIN expiration and asked me to provide a new renewed copy of SIN.
I went to service Canada with online application number for PGWP. Unfortunately, they informed me that, the SIN number cannot be renewed until I receive original work permit.
I called IRCC seeking for help. The lady said that, she cannot do anything about the situation. All I have to do is wait until I receive a original work permit. I asked her if I can work without active SIN. She responded that it’s the employer choice to allow you to continue the job or not. Also, I do not know and I cannot answer your question about whether you can work without active SIN.
The HR of the company who wants to hire me wouldn’t give me a offer letter without active SIN and YMCA organisation wouldn’t allow me to work post November 30th 2019 without SIN.
I’m stuck with it. I cannot be jobless for 45 days and need job to survive.
I have few doubts with the scenario:
1. Can I cancel my work permit online and go for flagpole
2. If I do so, will I get the refund from online IRCC services?
3. Does it effect the decision of a officer at boarder (flagpole) while issuing the work permit?
4. Should I say to the boarder officer about the situation of online application and my SIN issue? If I do so, will he/she accept to issue me with work permit at boarder?
My issue is to have a active SIN, so I can provide it to company HR who is willing to provide me a full time job.
I see that there is no possibility to renew my SIN without valid work permit (for which, I have to wait until Jan mid week).
I want to start a full time job ASAP.
Suggestions and advises on the possibilities will be highly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your time and reading the entire thing.

Regards
Divya

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Only real option is to flagpole and try your luck, no one can know what exactly will happen but worst case scenario is you get denied which is not a big deal.

Refund depends on which stage the application has reached which again is impossible to know. Dont cancel it, go try flagpole first.

Reactions: Divya Purohith