+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN Card on Soft Landing

jj_1990

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
Hi All,

I will soon be doing my first landing as a Canadian Permanent Resident. However, I will only be staying for a couple of weeks and is planning to make my permanent move to Canada after 6 months - 1 year.

I wanted to know if I need to get the SIN card now itself, or can obtain it later once I’ve moved to Canada on a permanent basis. Also, do we get the SIN card / SIN number immediately, or is there any processing time involved?

Thanks in advance!

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Entirely up to you if you want to get it now or later. Doesn't really matter
You get it on the spot at service Canada office. Takes 15, 20 minutes

WarHammer

May 17, 2018
Hi All,

I will soon be doing my first landing as a Canadian Permanent Resident. However, I will only be staying for a couple of weeks and is planning to make my permanent move to Canada after 6 months - 1 year.

I wanted to know if I need to get the SIN card now itself, or can obtain it later once I’ve moved to Canada on a permanent basis. Also, do we get the SIN card / SIN number immediately, or is there any processing time involved?

Thanks in advance!
You will be provided with your SIN number at the airport itself after your interview with the immigration agent. No processing time. Just make sure you don’t land on a public holiday or Sunday or afteR 6 PM because the SIN office inside the airport might be closed. if you do also it is not a problem , you can visit a SIN office outside the airport.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You will be provided with your SIN number at the airport itself after your interview with the immigration agent. No processing time. Just make sure you don’t land on a public holiday or Sunday or afteR 6 PM because the SIN office inside the airport might be closed. if you do also it is not a problem , you can visit a SIN office outside the airport.
Out of the hundreds of airports in Canada, only Toronto Pearson Airport has a Service Canada location.