+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN Card in processing for three weeks

phoenix800

May 20, 2018
Hello Everyone,

This is about my partner's case. He landed in Toronto, ON on 4th April and got through the usual immigration landing process. There was a long queue for processing SIN and the officer there advised him that he can apply for SIN from outside as well. He did that and next day inquired about his SIN details and got to know that it's flagged. A couple weeks later he went back to the airport and spoke to CBSA agent who informed him that his profile in the system looks right and nothing is flagged. He then visited a Service Canada center and got to know that his SIN application is 'in processing' and there are SIN applications still being processed from January 2019.

Firstly, I'm confused why SIN application processing would take this long when it's supposed to be a one day task. Also, he has a signed letter which says he applied for SIN and it is in processing (it's like a receipt). Can he start working and provide his employer the SIN once he gets it? Or will he be unable to to get any employment until he gets his SIN details?

What more can we do in this situation (Call or visit any center) to get the issue sorted out?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Confuseddiva

May 2, 2019
Hello Everyone,

This is about my partner's case. He landed in Toronto, ON on 4th April and got through the usual immigration landing process. There was a long queue for processing SIN and the officer there advised him that he can apply for SIN from outside as well. He did that and next day inquired about his SIN details and got to know that it's flagged. A couple weeks later he went back to the airport and spoke to CBSA agent who informed him that his profile in the system looks right and nothing is flagged. He then visited a Service Canada center and got to know that his SIN application is 'in processing' and there are SIN applications still being processed from January 2019.

Firstly, I'm confused why SIN application processing would take this long when it's supposed to be a one day task. Also, he has a signed letter which says he applied for SIN and it is in processing (it's like a receipt). Can he start working and provide his employer the SIN once he gets it? Or will he be unable to to get any employment until he gets his SIN details?

What more can we do in this situation (Call or visit any center) to get the issue sorted out?

Not sure he can start working . SIN is required before you can work as far as I know.

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
Hello Everyone,

If the form has the SIN number printed on it then he should be able to use that sin number except if that number on the form is temporary then he needs to wait for the correct number.
If he has a work permit he is allowed to work so its possible to work + use that form until he gets his SIN number.