+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN application

Jul 7, 2020
Hey guys! So I’m moving back to Canada this year as a PR. I’ve hired a lawyer to help me regain my status etc... one I arrive I have to live in Canada for 2 out of 5 years to reapply for my PR card since I’ve lived in australia for the last few years. It’s a situation not worth explaining. BUT I have a question for anyone who might know... How can or what is the best way I apply my SIN without my PR card? I will have my COPR and VOS as proof of my residency but as I said I have to ré-meet the obligations before I apply for my PR card.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
If you have regained status through your lawyer then you should be able to apply for a PR card or did I misunderstand your statement?

I do not believe there is another way to apply for a SIN other than providing a PR card in your case unless you have a Record of Landing?

Per the official website:

Permanent residents must provide 1 of the following documents:
  • Permanent Resident card issued by IRCC or CIC
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) issued by IRCC, accompanied by a travel document (for example, a foreign passport), or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial or territorial authority (for example, a driver’s license)
    Note: If the COPR is used within one year of becoming a permanent resident, it is acceptable. After this period, the Permanent Resident Card is required
  • Record of Landing issued by CIC before June 28, 2002
  • Verification of Landing issued by IRCC or CIC when an original Record of Landing or the COPR is not available (for example, if it has been lost). This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to get the confirmation of an existing SIN
  • Status Verification or Verification of Status issued by IRCC or CIC. This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to get a confirmation of an existing SIN