+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Simple" family situation, may be returning to Canada this year.

Aug 19, 2018
Hello, all!

I'm quite sure this exact question has been asked before, but as always, the devil is in the details, so I'd love to make sure we're doing this 'right.'

We have a relatively 'simple' situation.
Me = Canadian husband, now possessing dual US/CA citizenship.
Her = American wife, no current CA immigration status
Them = Three American-born kids born in wedlock (married 2010, 1st kid 2014, 2nd 2015, 3rd 2017)
(Needless to say, our marriage is legit, and all five members of our family have the same last name [mine at birth].)

I was born in St. John's, Newfoundland, and lived in Canada until 2003 when I moved to Taiwan. My wife (American) and I got married in 2010 in New York City. I joined visajourney.com (the US version of canadavisa.com), checked all the boxes and did everything right, and I now have dual US-Canadian citizenship.

Since becoming a US citizen, my wife and I have had three children, all born in NY.
We moved last year to Colorado, and it's been okay, but we're considering returning to Canada and resetting my/our career/s in order to be closer to family.

My questions are:

1. For my kids, I understand from reading the .gc websites that, since they were born after 2009 (2014, 2015, and 2017), they were Canadian citizens at birth. So for them, all I would need to do is simply apply for proof of citizenship, and then Canadian passports for them, correct? Can I do this remotely via mail, the way I process my own Canadian passport renewals? (My reading of the passport rules is "yes", we just need a guarantor (such as my father).)

2. I'm more hazy on the process for my wife. I understand I can sponsor her either outland or inland, but I don't have work in Canada yet. (My job prospects are spread pretty wide right now, with Chicago, SE Asia, and Newfoundland all on the table.)

If I get a job in Chicago or SE Asia, should I be starting the outland process? Or should I not worry about this until we actually permanently settle in Canada? (This has always been the 'back-burner' plan for our long-term goals.)

If the jobs in Chicago and SE Asia fail to materialize, our 'last resort' plan is to head to Newfoundland, hunker down with my family, and regroup (aka look for work from Newfoundland). In that situation, what is our plan for my wife? Does she enter Canada on a visitor visa and then begin the inland process? (A similar question posed to VJ years ago regarding my re-entry into the US was met with cries of "OMG don't do that!")

Anyway, any help with navigating this would be immensely helpful. I feel like the kids' process is pretty straightforward, but I want to figure out the path of least resistance for my wife to ultimately become a Canadian citizen, as well.

Thanks!

Adam

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
1. If you the Canadian parent became Canadian citizen by birth (i.e., born in Canada) or naturalization.......your kids 1st generation born abroad and are Canadian citizens, and you have to apply for their proof of citizenship and passport ......however, if the Canadian parent was born abroad to a Canadian parent, your kids are 2nd generation born abroad and not Canadian citizens.

2. As a Canadian citizen...you are eligible to sponsor your spouse for PR in Canada.......however, if you are living abroad and submit an Outland spousal sponsorship.......you will be required to provide in your sponsorship application proof that you will move back to live in Canada when your spousal sponsorship is approved.

If you decide to move back and reside in Canada.....your spouse been an American citizen....won't need a visa to enter Canada.....if she is able to enter Canada as a visitor and live with you in Canada, you could submit inland spousal sponsorship.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Makes no sense to sponsor your spouse unless you are sure you will be moving to Canada. Takes a while to get your kid's citizenship documents so you can definitely start now.