+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Signs of Marriage Fraud

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Q: Are all the signs of marriage fraud the same?

A: No. The criminal or fraud artist who commits this fraud may use various ways and different methods. Just like any crime/criminal activity, these fraud artists may change the way they operate in respect to their individual plans. Many criminal groups do this to avoid facing justice. The best way to answer this question is, if is too good to be true then it usually is.

The most common signs to watch for are:

He/she is not willing to teach you about their language, customs, religion or background. (If it is different from yours)

If the person you are in a relationship with tells you the exact same things that they want in their life. They are just parroting you. They know these values and dreams are important to you. They will tell you anything you want to hear, you will believe that you both have the same values and expectations in life.

If the person is hesitant to introduce you to new people as their spouse.

When you visit them you always meet the same people, he/she doesn't introduce you to new people.

If they make up various excuses to be away from you as much as possible.

If they communicate with you and they tell you that they understand, but when you ask for something they play dumb or pretend they no longer understand you.

If they hesitant to introduce you to other family members.

If in your relationship no one is asking you any questions or they are easily satisfied by your answers.

If they are telling you they are willing to be with you under any circumstance.

They do not have any hesitation to relocate to a new country.

If you try to reach them at times that you think they should be available and they are not. They will make up excuses as to why you couldn't reach them. Such as: no calling card, cell phone broken, bad phone connection, etc.

If they are asking you to perform a traditional ceremony that is not necessary and will cost more money.

If they tell people they are leaving their country for other reasons and not because they have married someone.

If on your first visit with their family it seems like they have known you for a long time. They could be trying to fool you. It takes time to get to know someone. There is a difference with people being hospitable and trying to fool you.

If the behavior of the person has changed once they left their country and came to your country. They seem like a different person.

If they were not demanding previously and they start to demand things when they get to your country. They may start demanding things that you thought they didn't really care for.

If they don't show an interest in any thing. When you suggest going places they really aren't interested in going.

If they are trying to stay away from you by making excuses that would not make sense.

If they are in your country and they start receiving an unusual number of phone calls. If they are on the phone and you walk into the room and they hang up the phone.

If they are eager to have all their documents in their possession, such as Permanent Resident card, SIN card and their passport. Or they keep asking when they will receive these cards.

If they are telling you that they will be somewhere and you find out they are not there and they start making excuses.

If they try to make most of their communication with others, such as phone calls, e-mail or letters away from you.

If they are not interested in things you may do together and they are eager to do things on their own.

If they tell you that they do not know anyone here and once they are here they have found a long lost friend.

If they tell you that they do know someone here and they try to spend as much time with them, staying over night or saying they have to take care of them.
If the person is not the same person that you have known and they are acting very different. They are telling you that you have changed and you are not the same person they knew. They start blaming you.

If they do not communicate with you and when you ask them, they tell you everything is fine. They seem very distant and their mind seems to be on other things.

As husband or wife you want the best for you partner. You want them to get familiar with the new country and their surroundings. But they insist they need to work immediately. This could mean they are getting ready to put their plan into motion.

If your spouse shows very little or no interest in being intimate with you. But before they got here, intimacy wasn't a problem.

They are very secretive about their day, when you ask them questions they get upset and defensive.

If they have family here and they spend a lot of time with them or want to visit them out of town for long periods of time.

There are many other signs of marriage fraud. Some are clear and some are not so clear until after they have committed the fraud. If there are red flags in your relationship pay attention to them. Do not ignore them; these could be very important signs in your relationship.

cyanmaple

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-may-2010
AOR Received.
6-july-2010
File Transfer...
16-june-2010
Med's Done....
april 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-july-2010
VISA ISSUED...
29-july-2010
it must be boring at starbucks today :p

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cyanmaple said:
it must be boring at starbucks today :p
lol how did you know i am at starcuks? its not that boring just some nice looking chicks working behind counter

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Great list!

I am happy to say that even though i 'had to go to Nigeria to find a huband' since there were 'not enough black men in Canada for me to like' that my husband has not done even one of those things.

jillandmat

Star Member
Jun 25, 2010
Costa Azul
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/05/2010
AOR Received.
08/07/2010
File Transfer...
22/06/2010
Med's Done....
05/07/2010
there aren't enough black men in canada? hmmm what part of canada are you from? canada is like a rainbow of colours!

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Great list indeed... where did you come across that? While every situation is different, that list is pretty comprehensive. It breaks my heart that this has to happen to people. I know I am safe with my husband, we lived together for 2 years in the US and never thought we'd be moving to Canada until he couldn't come back. I was in another thread where some people had a little nagging thought that "just maybe.." and I couldn't understand that. If you even have a question about marrying someone or immigration or their intentions, why even bother? I couldn't at least.

I hope everyone here has good luck in their marriage and immigration.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
jillandmat said:
there aren't enough black men in canada? hmmm what part of canada are you from? canada is like a rainbow of colours!
LOL Jillandmatt, that was one of the first things I noticed about Toronto. Though to be honest there really doesn't seem to be a lot of people here on either end of that spectrum. Coming from a place where there was (and still primarily is) only two races/ethnicities/origins, Toronto was like moving from Kansas to Oz, from black and white to color.

jillandmat

Star Member
Jun 25, 2010
Costa Azul
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/05/2010
AOR Received.
08/07/2010
File Transfer...
22/06/2010
Med's Done....
05/07/2010
yes -- I grew up in Toronto -- I would consider myself a minority (white Caucasian)
but living in Uruguay for 5 years seeing an asian or african or indian or middle eastern person -- its like WOAH!!

haha :)

I am looking forward to the diversity again! :)

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
AllisonVSC said:
LOL Jillandmatt, that was one of the first things I noticed about Toronto. Though to be honest there really doesn't seem to be a lot of people here on either end of that spectrum. Coming from a place where there was (and still primarily is) only two races/ethnicities/origins, Toronto was like moving from Kansas to Oz, from black and white to color.
I'm coming from the midwest :eek:

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
06-12-07/09-24-08/09-27-11
AllisonVSC said:
it's one of the reasons I think Toronto is the best city in the world!

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
bobshynoswife said:
Great list!

I am happy to say that even though i 'had to go to Nigeria to find a huband' since there were 'not enough black men in Canada for me to like' that my husband has not done even one of those things.
OMG BSW, your sense of humor is AWESOME. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
locolynn said:
it's one of the reasons I think Toronto is the best city in the world!
Certainly one of the best I've been to, but I spent my first few months here just staring at all the people (good thing I wasn't doing much of the driving). My partner can tell where people are from just by looking at their features and/or listening to them speak. I can't and I'm sure my powers of discrimination (and I mean that in a good way "to recognize or perceive the difference" not the bad way "to treat differently on the basis of sex, race, etc") will ever be that finely honed!

Lois Lane

May 14, 2008
(close to Toronto) Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 2007
jillandmat said:
she's being facicious, based on comments joecreosto made on another thread.....so her remarks given the entire scenario are hilarious ;)

Lois Lane

May 14, 2008
(close to Toronto) Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 2007
joecreosto just few hours ago i said i was raising a white flag not to get "into" it with you
but your extreme obsession with fraudulent marriages is worth taking note that you are speaking from personal experience
i think if you were honest and mentioned your situation it would be theraputic for you

the interesting part is that even though you were scammed you once again got into an internet relationship so if its sooooooo bad why would you go there?

as to the comment you're at starbucks cause of the help at the counter, is that something a decent married man would be looking for? or is that a sign that should be put on your "watch list" for fraudulent marriages?

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guys relax. i just reposting someone's article on this website to help people. every years poor innocent mans and womens becoming victoms of scammers. we as good citizens need to help our brothers sisters out.

these are my intentions only i swear to you.