+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Signing up for classes while waiting for student status renewal

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
I lost my student status and already applied for a renewal. I was wondering if you guys know if I can still sign up for classes while i'm waiting for my renewal process.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I lost my student status and already applied for a renewal. I was wondering if you guys know if I can still sign up for classes while i'm waiting for my renewal process.
You can still sign up for classes but the university won't let you attend them if you don't have a study permit.

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
You can still sign up for classes but the university won't let you attend them if you don't have a study permit.
Thanks for the reply. I actually talked to an immigration consultant and they said the same thing, which really doesn't make any sense to me. You are allowed to sign up for classes but you are not allowed to study... That just sounds contradicting to me. If i'm not allowed to study, wouldn't the government find out by asking if I'm signed up for classes? How do they know that I'm going to classes or not if I'm still allowed to sign up for classes? If you do have the insight for this situation, please do help me.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Thanks for the reply. I actually talked to an immigration consultant and they said the same thing, which really doesn't make any sense to me. You are allowed to sign up for classes but you are not allowed to study... That just sounds contradicting to me. If i'm not allowed to study, wouldn't the government find out by asking if I'm signed up for classes? How do they know that I'm going to classes or not if I'm still allowed to sign up for classes? If you do have the insight for this situation, please do help me.
The universities always ask for a copy of your study permit before you attending classes. Like you first came to Canada, you gave your study permit to the university to verify your status in Canada. So I would assume your university already knows your study permit had expired so they will ask you for a extended one.

Signing up for classes doesn't mean anything. You can sign up online for classes and its not illegal. But attending classes without a study permit is illegal.

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
The universities always ask for a copy of your study permit before you attending classes. Like you first came to Canada, you gave your study permit to the university to verify your status in Canada. So I would assume your university already knows your study permit had expired so they will ask you for a extended one.

Signing up for classes doesn't mean anything. You can sign up online for classes and its not illegal. But attending classes without a study permit is illegal.
Thanks a lot, that really puts me at ease now. I can't remember if I submitted in my study permit the first time I applied for University, but they did inform me that my study permit has expired and required me to send in new documentations.