+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Signature for online application

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
I am confused about which Application forms we need to sign by hand and which ones will be signed electronically.

The Instruction in link below shows example of electronic signature for "Application Form", but it does not say whether this is for all application forms.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=740&t=23

It also specifically says: "Do not print out your application form to sign it"
but again it does not says which application form.

And some of the application form requires signature from multiple people such as Spouse and Representative. Following are the forms I am preparing:

Application for Temporary Resident Visa IMM5257E
Family Information IMM5645E
Use of Family Rep for Online App IMM5713E
Use of Representative_IMM5476E

There is also separate application form for Spouse that needs to be submitted together with primary applicant. That need signature from spouse.

Please help to understand this..

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
max101 said:
I am confused about which Application forms we need to sign by hand and which ones will be signed electronically.

The Instruction in link below shows example of electronic signature for "Application Form", but it does not say whether this is for all application forms.

And some of the application form requires signature from multiple people such as Spouse and Representative. Following are the forms I am preparing:

There is also separate application form for Spouse that needs to be submitted together with primary applicant. That need signature from spouse.

It clearly says: "Do not print out your application form to sign it" from the documents you listed there is only ONE application form: Application for Temporary Resident Visa IMM5257E

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
Thanks for reply.

There will be 2 applications (Primary Applicant and Spouse).
Now I understand the Primary Applicant does not need to sign the following application.

How about the Accompanying spouse whose application will be submitted together?
When we click on "Validate" in the PDF, it give following message:

Validation completed successfully.
Please print the entire application and sign and date the last page. This page contains bar codes that facilitates data entry of your application.
If you are applying online you do not need to sign you application form by hand.You will be asked to provide an electronic signature once you are ready to transmit your document to CIC.

So when submitting the application, Will there be step where we can provide digital signature for accompanying spouse as well?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
max101 said:
Thanks for reply.

Now I understand the Primary Applicant does not need to sign the following application.

Please print the entire application and sign and date the last page. This page contains bar codes that facilitates data entry of your application.
If you are applying online you do not need to sign you application form by hand.You will be asked to provide an electronic signature once you are ready to transmit your document to CIC.

So when submitting the application, Will there be step where we can provide digital signature for accompanying spouse as well?

Yes, it says that in the instructions you recieved

Shaziamalick

Jun 21, 2014
max101 said:

Family form need signature complete it online than print, sign and upload

Moyita

Feb 26, 2016
What if we submit an application for someone else as a declared representative? Does the Representative sign the electronic forms on behalf of the applicant?

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
Moyita said:
What if we submit an application for someone else as a declared representative? Does the Representative sign the electronic forms on behalf of the applicant?
In my case the Electronic Forms were signed and submitted by the Applicant (not the representative). The applicants were in different country, but I could give them proper instructions by Skype.

RajanIndia

Apr 2, 2018
Thanks for reply.

Could you please tell me the updated about this thread ? What does the accompanying spouse have to do when it comes to electronic signature for online application ?

onkarsharan

Apr 21, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-07-2017
Doc's Request.
30-07-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
22-07-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
01-05.2018
Family form need signature complete it online than print, sign and upload
No, you don’t need to. Just fill it online. Your digital signature will be taken finally at the end.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
What if I did sign it, scan, and then upload. Is my application going to be rejected?
Which did you sign and scan? Because the application form will not upload if it has been printed and scanned..

With the Family information and Schedule 1 I know people who have done that their applications were not returned....

jphillipr

Apr 18, 2018
Which did you sign and scan? Because the application form will not upload if it has been printed and scanned..

With the Family information and Schedule 1 I know people who have done that their applications were not returned....
I signed the Family information and the Family member representative.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong.
Forms IMM5257(application for temporary residence) and schedule 1 shouldn't be signed and scanned.
Form IMM5645(family information) doesn't have to be signed, you can directly upload the filled up form.
Form IMM5713(family member rep.) should be printed, signed then scan.
Did I get everything right?

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
I signed the Family information and the Family member representative.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong.
Forms IMM5257(application for temporary residence) and schedule 1 shouldn't be signed and scanned.
Form IMM5645(family information) doesn't have to be signed, you can directly upload the filled up form.
Form IMM5713(family member rep.) should be printed, signed then scan.
Did I get everything right?
For an online application... all those forms do not need to be signed as you will provide an electronic signature when you click submit at the end...

The IMM5257 is the one that can not be printed and scanned because when you validate it... it brings up barcodes that need to be read when you upload it...

jphillipr

Apr 18, 2018
For an online application... all those forms do not need to be signed as you will provide an electronic signature when you click submit at the end...

The IMM5257 is the one that can not be printed and scanned because when you validate it... it brings up barcodes that need to be read when you upload it...
But Form IMM5713 can't even be saved on your computer after you fill it out. Adobe says it can only save a blank copy of the form.