+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIBLING SPONSORSHIP

starfest

Dec 17, 2017
HIi. I am a permanent resident in canada and i am planning on sponsoring my sister to come over. I already have a sister and her family in canada who came in before I did, does having a sister already here mean i can't sponsor another sister to come over?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

HIi. I am a permanent resident in canada and i am planning on sponsoring my sister to come over. I already have a sister and her family in canada who came in before I did, does having a sister already here mean i can't sponsor another sister to come over?
1. Yes, correct, as you already have a sister in Canada, your sister will have to apply and qualify on her own.

starfest

Dec 17, 2017
Thanks. Another question please. She's very keen on migrating to Canada but her husband is not, is there any immigration program you would advise her to apply for given her situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. Another question please. She's very keen on migrating to Canada but her husband is not, is there any immigration program you would advise her to apply for given her situation?
There is no specific immigration program for this situation. Even though her husband doesn't want to come with her, he will still have to take and pass the medical and also provide police certificates.

sundie134

Jun 24, 2012
Hello, me and my husband wanted to sponsor my brother, it’s kindda confusing because someone told we can’t and my mother in law says we can, she even tried to call CIC and asked them if we are eligible to sponsor my brodie and the agent says yes. Anyway I did my research and it looks like it’s hard to sponsor my brother but Im Wondering if someone here tried sponsoring A sibling and got approved.thanx

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, me and my husband wanted to sponsor my brother, it’s kindda confusing because someone told we can’t and my mother in law says we can, she even tried to call CIC and asked them if we are eligible to sponsor my brodie and the agent says yes. Anyway I did my research and it looks like it’s hard to sponsor my brother but Im Wondering if someone here tried sponsoring A sibling and got approved.thanx
You don't qualify to sponsor your brother. He will need to immigrate independently.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Does she have the necessary education/skilled work experience to qualify under one of the current economic programs?

As mentioned above, you having a spouse makes you ineligible to sponsor any sibling.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oooohh. So it means, as a PR, we are not allowed to sponsor our sisters to migrate in canada?
No - it doesn't mean that at all. PR vs. citizenship has nothing to do with it. It's based on who else is already in Canada with you or who you can sponsor.

In order to sponsor a sibling, you must have no spouse / common law partner, no children, both of your parents must be deceased and you must also have no other family in Canada (e.g. aunt, uncle).

Taba0413

Jul 17, 2017
No - it doesn't mean that at all. PR vs. citizenship has nothing to do with it. It's based on who else is already in Canada with you or who you can sponsor.

In order to sponsor a sibling, you must have no spouse / common law partner, no children, both of your parents must be deceased and you must also have no other family in Canada (e.g. aunt, uncle).

I see, thank you!