+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sibling- proof of relationship

sijuvgeorge

Dec 6, 2019
We have claimed points for sibling living in Canada on PR.
What are the proofs we could submit for relationship?
Issues we are facing are - I have birth certificate and sibling doesn't have one currently
Both has parent's names in passport bio pages, but names doesn't match exactly as there are difference in spellings used , also one person has full names of parents whereas other person has used only first names of both parents.Is this ok? Any additional documents we could use?

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
We have claimed points for sibling living in Canada on PR.
What are the proofs we could submit for relationship?
Issues we are facing are - I have birth certificate and sibling doesn't have one currently
Both has parent's names in passport bio pages, but names doesn't match exactly as there are difference in spellings used , also one person has full names of parents whereas other person has used only first names of both parents.Is this ok? Any additional documents we could use?
How long will it take to get the birth certificate of your sibling? You just need to show the relationship between you and your sibling, which can be done by a combination of documents such as your birth certificate and their passport.

gautamatuag

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
I am claiming points of sibling as my brother is in Canada.
My query:
1) We both have birth certificate, but our fathers name spelling do not match (ee vs i), and mothers name in my brothers certificate is only first name, while in mine its first+last name
2) Our passport have the exact match of our parents name

My question, do I only give passports as proof. Will that be enough?
Or should I give birth certificate as well and provide explanation.

gautamatuag

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
T
The passport is good enough, you can provide that as long as it clearly shows that you both have the same parents.
Thank you for confirming.

So 3 documents which am planning to provide:
1) Brothers PR Card
2) Utility Bill (Gas)
3) Brothers Passport

Hope these are the right set of document.

I read somewhere that a affidavit to state our relationship should also be added. Is that mandatory?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
No, no affidavit is necessary. Those 3 documents are enough.

Make sure you provide a scan of both sides of his PR card, and make sure it's a recent copy of a utility bill, within the last 6 months of your application submission, and that it shows his Canadian address.

gautamatuag

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
No, no affidavit is necessary. Those 3 documents are enough.

Make sure you provide a scan of both sides of his PR card, and make sure it's a recent copy of a utility bill, within the last 6 months of your application submission, and that it shows his Canadian address.
Yes all points noted and will be followed. :)
Thank you for the quick clarification. Appreciate it.

Reactions: Islander216

DEtoCA

Jan 1, 2023
T

Thank you for confirming.

So 3 documents which am planning to provide:
1) Brothers PR Card
2) Utility Bill (Gas)
3) Brothers Passport

Hope these are the right set of document.

I read somewhere that a affidavit to state our relationship should also be added. Is that mandatory?
Hi, Does brothers passport worked for you? Because we are also in the same situation where sibling who lives in Canada doesn't have birth certificate, thinking to provide OCI card which has parents details as a proof of sibling relationship.