+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Showing ties to home country and funds for mother in law

deshkarthik

Sep 21, 2013
Hello

I want to apply super visa for my Mother in law. My father in law passed away long time ago. Source of income for my mother in law is pension and annual interest from deposits of few lakhs INR. She also had land property on her name. She does have another daughter staying in India. What do we have show to ensure that we prove strong ties to home country?

Our income (wife and mine) in Canada comfortably crosses the LICO but I also want to come what is sufficient amount of funds that I have to show in our bank accounts here. Recently we did purchase a home and we have around 10k CAD in both of our accounts. My wife is pregnant and is expected to deliver in December.

Any suggestion and comments to make application stronger will help me a lot. Last year my mother in law's visitor visa was rejected for lack of funds.

Thanks

rct99q

Mar 18, 2014
The first thing I suggest is to sit down and write out a list of all the projects, belongings, activities or assets that would keep your mother in law in her home country. People on this forum can not make things up for you.
Take all the items you have written down and give a brief explaination of each and how/why it is important for the mother in law..
Your goal with this is to make the reasons on your list more important than the reasons for her staying in Canada.
Right now I would see a family in Canada expecting a child in less than a year who it appears are financially responsible living in a brand new home! Why on earth would the mother in law return home is what i am thinking. And I believe you will find it difficult to prove otherwise than you and your family wanting grandma to come live in Canada and babysit the newest child.
When we applied for our visa we took all the emotion out of the letters we wrote and stuck with the facts.

I wish you luck but try to see it from immigrations viewpoint, they want this person go home after their intended visit. You need to show why.

deshkarthik

Sep 21, 2013
Thanks for the response rct99q

My mother in law does have another daughter who lives in India. And the daughter in law does have children and mother in law takes care of them. If we have to go on this route (that mother in law will go back to look after children), does this look strong enough?

Or does buying return tickets make the case stronger?

By the way, we will not be declaring in the application that we purchased a home recently. My intention was to know sufficient amount of funds that we have to show in our bank accounts so that VO is convinced that we have funds to sponsor the trip. As you have clearly put in your answer, We will be only presenting facts and nothing else.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Karthik,

And the daughter in law does have children and mother in law takes care of them. If we have to go on this route (that mother in law will go back to look after children), does this look strong enough?
IMO, this does not appear as a strong tie.... as someone can be hired to take care of the kids.... or maybe have another relative look after them.... or maybe a child daycare.

Having said this, does your MIL live with her other daughter?
Is the other daughter employed + no other immediate family to take care of the children?
How old are the children?

Some suggestions for her strong ties/reasons to return:
1. Does she have a lease agreement in her name? Or maybe property ownership?

2. Can she prove that she must return to get something done for the plot of land which she owns.... maybe fencing the plot, getting building plans approved, building a foundation, sub-leasing it, etc?

Again, as her other daughter is also a co-owner, are any of these tasks something that her other daughter can do?

3. As her financial situation is not strong, she must include an FD Interest Certificate + a letter issued by the bank(s) stating the FDs are not locked-in/mortgaged and can be liquidated, if required.

4. You'll have to think of some plausible, strong reason (with evidence) to convince the visa officer that she will return.... for example, wedding in the immediate family, a scheduled minor surgery/doctor's appointment for herself or someone in the immediate family (hopefully not the case), anything along these lines

IMHO, her ties are quite weak.... but you can build up a good case if you think through it

Cheers

deshkarthik

Sep 21, 2013
Thanks a lot Bryanna for your response.

She does take care of aunt(mother in law's mother's sister) who is nearly 85 years old and she does keep travelling among the few of our relatives who take care of her in turns. My MIL does take care of her for few months every year. Is it a valid reason? basically saying that she has to go back to look after elder aunt for few months and for time MIL is in canada she will be looked after by other relatives. If yes, do we have to provide an affidavit or anything else.

I have also answered some of your questions below.

1. Does she have a lease agreement in her name? Or maybe property ownership?
She does own two properties jointly owned by daughters and MIL. Can we claim that we want to sell one of the property and construct a home on another plot to live there?

2. Can she prove that she must return to get something done for the plot of land which she owns.... maybe fencing the plot, getting building plans approved, building a foundation, sub-leasing it, etc?

Even if we want to sell the property, how can we prove that we want to sell the property after 1 year? Currently one of property's moratorium period just ended and it is eligible to sold to third party.

Again, as her other daughter is also a co-owner, are any of these tasks something that her other daughter can do?
No, she has to be present to do the transaction

3. As her financial situation is not strong, she must include an FD Interest Certificate + a letter issued by the bank(s) stating the FDs are not locked-in/mortgaged and can be liquidated, if required.
This letter is possible

4. You'll have to think of some plausible, strong reason (with evidence) to convince the visa officer that she will return.... for example, wedding in the immediate family, a scheduled minor surgery/doctor's appointment for herself or someone in the immediate family (hopefully not the case), anything along these lines

I totally appreciate you taking time for us. Thanks a lot!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You're welcome :)

My MIL does take care of her for few months every year. Is it a valid reason?
Yes. She can show this as a tie.... and state that another relative will take care of the aunt temporarily when your MIL is away.

Can she submit any proofs that they live together?
Any scheduled doctor's appointment/ medical check-up for her aunt in the same city where your MIL lives? Proofs of this.

She does own two properties jointly owned by daughters and MIL.
She must submit ownership documents (translated into English, if required) + property tax receipts + self-assessment for the current indicative market value of each property + supporting evidence from say MagicBricks/ Times Property supplementary newspapers/ Citibank Realty reports, etc

Your MIL must state the overall indicative market value + the value of her share.... for each property

Can we claim that we want to sell one of the property and construct a home on another plot to live there?
If you have any legal documents to prove you can sell it to a third party..... then yes + if there's any paperwork to prove the process has started.

Does your MIL hold a Power of Attorney for these properties on behalf of your wife and/or both her daughters?

Also, you may want to consider a Letter of Financial support from her other daughter.... her daughter's bank statement must be submitted

For the invitation letter, do not state that she is visiting to take care of your wife and your baby

Cheers

deshkarthik

Sep 21, 2013
Thanks Bryanna for the response.

With respect showing that the my MIL supports a elder aunt, what other documents can we provide other than the lease documents?

Does showing that elder aunt has to be taken to a doctor help make the application stronger? since the aunt can be taken to a doctor by someone else

Her income is only the pension which is around ($150 CAD) and interest from deposits & I am a little worried about this aspect.

With respect to building a home, what documents should we prepare to prove that we are indeed building a home? home plan approvals etc my question is what else can be used to prove that we are serious of building a home.

Does going with any immigration consultants help in this case? or Reaching out to our MP? at this point of time I just want to ensure that the application is strong

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
With respect showing that the my MIL supports a elder aunt, what other documents can we provide other than the lease documents?
Any evidence to show the aunt lives with your MIL at the same address:
Electoral voter's card/ Bank account/ Aadhar card/ PAN Card (if she has one), etc

Does showing that elder aunt has to be taken to a doctor help make the application stronger? since the aunt can be taken to a doctor by someone else
True.... by the same token, a lot of things can be done by others.... it's for you to convince the visa officer that no one else can do these things except your MIL

Her income is only the pension which is around ($150 CAD) and interest from deposits & I am a little worried about this aspect.
This is THE key point of concern for your MIL's application.

In my previous post I had suggested including a Letter of Financial Support from her India-based daughter.... if you choose to do this then the other daughter can transfer adequate money from her account to your MIL's bank account.... include both their bank statements..... and an explanation, that she is gifting this amount to your MIL for a well-deserved holiday.

I recall helping someone last year whose mom is a widow, very small rental income as cash, no family ties whatsoever, no bank account, a very small low-value property (initially there were no property ownership papers too), no investments, no pension, etc..... she first worked very hard on getting evidence.... and then presented the facts well.... fortunately, her mom got a Super Visa.

Basically, it is for you to convince the visa officer.

With respect to building a home, what documents should we prepare to prove that we are indeed building a home? home plan approvals etc my question is what else can be used to prove that we are serious of building a home.
Application for approval of building plans + application for permission to sell the other property (and other similar proofs) + valuation by a CA/self-valuation for the indicative current market value

Does going with any immigration consultants help in this case?
I personally think immigration consultants are only for money.... and they do not put in the time, efforts or sincerity for a visa application. However, it is your choice.

or Reaching out to our MP? at this point of time I just want to ensure that the application is strong
A letter from your MP will serve no purpose in proving that your MIL has strong ties/ she will return

If you think you may not be able to convince the visa officer about your MIL's financial situation/her strong ties.... then you may want to consider inviting another relative instead to help your wife and baby

Cheers

nehailan

Jul 2, 2017
Hello

Super Visa: Strong ties to home country (parents don’t own property)
I am inviting my parents to Canada under Super visa. My sister is also going to come soon to Canada as she has got her COPR. There is no other family member in India. My parents do not own a property in my home country(India). They do have some money in fixed deposits (Collectively close to 12 lakhs - Mother’s account 10 lakhs, Father’s account - 2 lakhs) and my father owns a car worth 9 lakhs. Would it be sufficient to show proof for the Fixed deposits and the car to demonstrate strong ties to the home country?