+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should residency obligations be stricter?

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
That all make sense. I guess, as usual, it's all up to what you convince the border to allow.

And if I want to stay on purely a visitor status for a few more months (i.e. if we aren't able to get PR paperwork sorted soon enough), and I leave a month after receiving a year extension, I would still get six months upon re-entry as long as the border let me in. Correct?

Anything past that six months would require another extension, regardless of the initial length granted of the first extension. Correct?

Thanks very much to both of you!
it makes me scratch my head when people do that

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And if I want to stay on purely a visitor status for a few more months (i.e. if we aren't able to get PR paperwork sorted soon enough), and I leave a month after receiving a year extension, I would still get six months upon re-entry as long as the border let me in. Correct?

Anything past that six months would require another extension, regardless of the initial length granted of the first extension. Correct?
No one can ever guarantee how much time you will be granted on entry. It might be the standard 6 months or it might be less. All up to the border officer.

Anything past the time you are granted upon entry will require an extension.

Reactions: California2Canada

California2Canada

Apr 25, 2017
and access to benefits
I can certainly understand why some people would try to 'game the system' and get PR simply for benefits with no intention of living here. That's not us.

Simply put, in a more hedonistic light, we're travelers. We love to move around, explore, and immerse & create in different communities. I lived in four other countries before coming to Canada. Moving around is just our thing.

Put in a more logistical light, our lives required moving around for our plans. We will be starting a business in the US, but if we wanted to end long distance we needed to be in Canada for a couple years before that (due to wife's career, schooling, etc). So yes, it will be a couple here, a couple there, and then perhaps we'll return here again. Who knows. :)

Maybe it's just the traveler in me, but I don't find it strange at all that people would want to come and go. And though I understand why it's necessary because of fraudulent people, it still baffles me sometimes that being married is not simply enough to legally stay with your spouse in a country- and be able to easily come and go- without claiming any intention of staying permanently. But since that's not the case, PR for nomads it is. ;-) Hope that makes more sense.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications