+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should my spouse apply for work permit or wait for spousal sponser?

MAKabir

Jul 20, 2018
I am a PR of Canada currently living outside Canada. I got married in February 2021 and plan to move back to Canada in September 2021. I know that for me the PR spousal sponsor have to be inland, but can I go for Spousal Work Permit for my wife first. Can a spousal work permit be applied outland? If so, I can apply right now and get a 4 months headstart in my application process. As I want to minimize the amount of time I may be apart from my wife can my spouse apply for a work permit first, get it, move to Canada and stay till I sponsor her?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a PR of Canada currently living outside Canada. I got married in February 2021 and plan to move back to Canada in September 2021. I know that for me the PR spousal sponsor have to be inland, but can I go for Spousal Work Permit for my wife first. Can a spousal work permit be applied outland? If so, I can apply right now and get a 4 months headstart in my application process. As I want to minimize the amount of time I may be apart from my wife can my spouse apply for a work permit first, get it, move to Canada and stay till I sponsor her?
Your spouse does not qualify for an OWP. You must move back to Canada to sponsor her.

Reactions: MAKabir

MAKabir

Jul 20, 2018
Thank you canuck78 for the clarification. It seems the spouse of international students have an easier time in getting a work permit than the spouse of PRs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you canuck78 for the clarification. It seems the spouse of international students have an easier time in getting a work permit than the spouse of PRs.
Yes because they are temporary residents. OWP still aren't guaranteed. Canada wants to ensure relationships are genuine before allowing spouses to move to Canada since it is very hard to deport someone once they arrive in Canada.