+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should immigrants be expected to abandon their culture?

ASK

Dec 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 Oct 2009
AOR Received.
29 Jun 2010
File Transfer...
06 Jan 2010
Med's Request
09 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
20 Oct 2012
Passport Req..
04 June 2013
VISA ISSUED...
01 July 2013
LANDED..........
06 Oct 2013 (hopefully)
Should immigrants be expected to abandon their culture?

Apparently Canada isn't the welcoming multicultural paradise we once fancied ourselves.

A new survey from Forum Research, for the National Post, found that 70 per cent of Canadians are in favour of limiting immigration.

Even more notably, the survey also found that most approve of immigrants accepted into Canada bringing their spouses and dependent children, but not grown children, parents or grandparents.

Mixed into this debate is how those who move to Canada should be expected to acclimate themselves to our society. Should they abandon their heritage and declare themselves Canadian, or should they be free to maintain their own cultural identity.

The Forum Research poll found that we were split on whether Canada should accept immigrants only from like-minded countries. But 62 per cent of respondents felt immigrants should abandon their native cultural values when moving to Canada.

You would suspect that we felt those cultural differences were a problem, we would only want to take immigrants from places that would mesh seamlessly with Canadian society. But to expect a complete assimilation is an insult.

Canada’s immigration system has recently shifted to benefit those applicants who are deemed a benefit to Canada. We are not doing those people a favour, it is a symbiotic relationship.

Yes, immigrants should want to mesh with Canadian culture. But you can’t ask or expect them to abandon their own culture entirely.

What is your take? Should immigrants to Canada be expected to abandon their cultural values when they conflict with the Canadian way of life?

Source: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/pulseofcanada/pulse-canada-immigrants-expected-abandon-culture-151343181.html

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
When in Rome, do as the Romans do..It is polite, and possibly also advantageous, to abide by the customs of a society when one is a newcomer or a visitor.

The fact East meeting West is a huge challenge, as much as West meeting East. It is the same as if I was immigrating to India, my personal and professional life will change, my cultural and religious beliefs I would have to adapt to the country of choice. To stubbornly continue the old life is in my opinion ignorant, arrogant and exactly the reason why 62% of Canadian feel that way about immigrants.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I think anyone who knows me on forum has a pretty good idea of my positive attitude toward immigration. One of the things that makes me sad is seeing my culture disappear. I was born in Canada and enjoyed Christmas concerts at school. These days they are winter pageants or something like that. My feeling is that Canada should keep its identity not have to feel politically incorrect for using the word Christmas in school, on cards and other things. Just my opinion.

Trick

Apr 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Loose your identity and culture completely and then produce many more celebrities like sunny Leone.I can't say much about Canadians .However,lots of people in US. are maintaining their identity and living happily and they have done good professionally as well.