+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

should i renew my passport so i can use my new surname?

AsianBabe

Mar 6, 2010
PHILIPPINES
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
July, 2010
All of my identification cards including my passport is in my maiden name except for my driver's license which i obtained few days ago... I got married last december and my husband sent our application 7 weeks after we got married. What i wrote in the application is still my maiden name coz i followed what was written in my passport. Will it be ok if i will get a new passport so I can already use my husband's surname? Will it make my application process slower? Who and where should I notify, CPC-M or the local visa office?...
I'm kinda confused on what to do coz the copy of the passport that i sent and the passport number that i wrote in the application was the old one so if i will renew, I'm wondering what are the possible conflicts... Is there anyone here who experienced the same?

Please give me some advice on what is the best thing to do... ThANK U...

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
AsianBabe said:
All of my identification cards including my passport is in my maiden name except for my driver's license which i obtained few days ago... I got married last december and my husband sent our application 7 weeks after we got married. What i wrote in the application is still my maiden name coz i followed what was written in my passport. Will it be ok if i will get a new passport so I can already use my husband's surname? Will it make my application process slower? Who and where should I notify, CPC-M or the local visa office?...
I'm kinda confused on what to do coz the copy of the passport that i sent and the passport number that i wrote in the application was the old one so if i will renew, I'm wondering what are the possible conflicts... Is there anyone here who experienced the same?

Please give me some advice on what is the best thing to do... ThANK U...
If your passport is still valid long enough for the required number of months for your visa to be stamped then you'd be better off changing your name once you have landed in Canada.

freckles4256

Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi there.
yes i agree wait till your in canada and have your PR visa. And it says on your paperwork (name that is on your passport or travel docs)
Ive put my married name on all my paperwork and am renewing my passport into my married name. So have to wait for that to come back to me before i can send my paperwork, so ive got a copy of my new passport number to put in my paperwork as my old passport expires in feb 2011 and im going to canada in may 2010.

chitotolo

Mar 5, 2010
Angola
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your passport will not expire soon, I suggest not to renew it yet.

In my case, I submitted my application last Dec 2009 and my passport was to expire Feb 2010 so I renewed my passport before submitting my application. However all of my records and travel documentation referred to my old passport so I just wrote on top of the photocopied passport which one is new and which one is old.

BTW, you are Filipino so I have some news for you regarding the renewal of your Philippine passport in Canada. My sister just renewed her passport and she said that currently, everyone who wants to renew their passports must go to Vancouver personally. But people from the embassy conduct passport renewal applications in different states as well. Just contact the embassy so you will know when they will be visiting your state.