+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I rely on CEC?

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020
Hi everyone,

I will have completed a year of Canadian work experience on my post-grad work permit six months from now. This past week, though, I decided to go ahead and take the CELPIP exam to submit my Express Entry application anyway. I've met the minimum requirements for FSW and my current score is 409 (includes spouse). Once I complete a year of experience in September 2024, it will increase to 457.

The thing is, my PGWP expires in September 2025 (they only gave me 2 years); and, if I'm not mistaken, the last CEC draw happened in September 2021 with a cut-off of 462 points. Should I be worried and start looking for different ways to increase my score (e.g. learn French)? Or is it likely I'll be fine relying on CEC to immigrate?

Thank you.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Hi everyone,

I will have completed a year of Canadian work experience on my post-grad work permit six months from now. This past week, though, I decided to go ahead and take the CELPIP exam to submit my Express Entry application anyway. I've met the minimum requirements for FSW and my current score is 409 (includes spouse). Once I complete a year of experience in September 2024, it will increase to 457.

The thing is, my PGWP expires in September 2025 (they only gave me 2 years); and, if I'm not mistaken, the last CEC draw happened in September 2021 with a cut-off of 462 points. Should I be worried and start looking for different ways to increase my score (e.g. learn French)? Or is it likely I'll be fine relying on CEC to immigrate?

Thank you.
Short answer: very unlikely that they'll restart CEC draws in the near future.

Learning French is an option, although you would have to dedicate 15+ hours a week to be able to get the required level on time to get ITA, submit application, get AOR, and apply for BOWP before your current PGWP expires.

You should also explore PNP options.

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020
Short answer: very unlikely that they'll restart CEC draws in the near future.

Learning French is an option, although you would have to dedicate 15+ hours a week to be able to get the required level on time to get ITA, submit application, get AOR, and apply for BOWP before your current PGWP expires.

You should also explore PNP options.
I see, thank you. Looks like I could be eligible for the BC PNP Skilled Worker Stream, but since I'm an admin assistant (which is not one of the in-demand professions) I'd be placed on the general pool, and I'm not getting the minimum score needed for an invitation based on the latest draws.

I do already know a little bit of French, so I'll look for a course to see where I'm at and start studying a couple hours every day. I should've thought of this sooner, but oh well. I'll hold on to my current job so that in the worst case scenario I can try and get my employer to obtain an LMIA, which shouldn't be too hard since they're a big company and I'll have been working for them for over 2 years.

Last edited:

novemberrain

Sep 6, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
9-11-2022
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
I agree with what Andrews said. CEC-only draws only happened during COVID time, I don't think it will happen again - the chance is 1%.

Looking at current draws, even people with a score of 520+ are uncertain this year, we can't say for next year as polices constantly change.

The best bet would be to invest in French (give you a boost in your overall score, and the chance to be placed in the French draws) and LMIA