+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I pay biometrics fee a second time in my Bridging Open Work Permit application?

william-k

Apr 27, 2020
I've received my AoR for my PR application and in that file, I paid for the biometric fees (and have my biometric letter--haven't been able to provide them due to covid). Now I'm filling out the BOWP and initially I answered 'No' to the question "Have you submitted biometrics in the last 10 years?" but this leads to them charging me the fees again.

Is it ok if I answer "yes" that I've submitted my biometrics and explain in the letter? Or should I answer "No" and pay again?

william-k

Apr 27, 2020
Found the answer in this update, which I hadn't read:

Biometrics exemption for temporary residence applicants in Canada

As a temporary measure, you’re exempt from giving biometrics if you’re both of the following:

• in Canada
  • applying or have an application in progress
    • to extend your stay as a student, worker or visitor
    • to restore your status as a student, worker or visitor
    • for a work or study permit
    • for a visitor visa
    • for a temporary resident permit

This exemption applies even if
  • your application form for a work permit, study permit or visitor visa says it’s for applicants outside Canada
  • our online application system asks you to pay a biometric fee (CAN$85)

Biometric fee

You don’t have to pay the biometric fee when you submit your application, even if the system tells you to pay it.

If you paid the fee,
  • we’ll automatically refund the fee once we finalize your application
  • the online application system will automatically send you a BIL, telling you how to give your biometrics
    • You do not need to give your biometrics, and you can ignore this letter.
Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/biometrics.html