+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I marry my Chinese girlfriend in China or Canada?

Appc66

Jan 10, 2014
I am looking for some guidance, and appreciate any help...

Here are my questions:

1. Should I marry my Chinese girlfriend in China or Canada before sponsoring her to move to Canada?

2. I'm concerned that getting married after being in a relationship for less than a year, the Canadian government may think our relationship is a scam, what information can we provide on her immigration application form to show our relationship is valid beyond simply answering the questions?

3. Once we get married and submit her immigration application, can she get a visa to live with me in Canada while we wait for her immigration application to be processed approval? What visa should she apply for while we wait?

I'm a Canadian citizen. Born, raised and living in Canada. She is a Chinese citizen. Born, raised and living in China.
We met online in October 2013 and have visited each other, first I went to China in December then she came to Canada to visit me in February. I am visiting her again in April 2014. We both have grown kids, her son is on his own and would not be coming with her. Also we are both financially secure.

Thank you!

yantaicalgary

Nov 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Oct 3,2014
Appc66 said:

Here are my questions:

1. Should I marry my Chinese girlfriend in China or Canada before sponsoring her to move to Canada?

2. I'm concerned that getting married after being in a relationship for less than a year, the Canadian government may think our relationship is a scam, what information can we provide on her immigration application form to show our relationship is valid beyond simply answering the questions?

3. Once we get married and submit her immigration application, can she get a visa to live with me in Canada while we wait for her immigration application to be processed approval? What visa should she apply for while we wait?

I'm a Canadian citizen. Born, raised and living in Canada. She is a Chinese citizen. Born, raised and living in China.
We met online in October 2013 and have visited each other, first I went to China in December then she came to Canada to visit me in February. I am visiting her again in April 2014. We both have grown kids, her son is on his own and would not be coming with her. Also we are both financially secure.

Thank you!
It does not matter where you marry her. Inland application or Outland application matters the length of process.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Appc66 said:

Here are my questions:

Thank you!
If you wanted to marry her in Canada, she'd need to apply for a TRV visitor visa to come here first. Then you could get married in Canada and could submit an INLAND application so she can stay in Canada during the entire processing time. If she's already visited Canada recently, then perhaps that TRV is still valid.

Or you could get married in China. Where you get married makes no difference. If you apply OUTLAND through one of the China visa offices, she would still need to have a valid TRV to visit Canada during PR processing. With an outland app she can not "live" in Canada until the PR is approved.

You have a major red flag though, in that meeting for the first time to getting married is barely 5 months time. No matter what proof you want to show that the relationship is real, a visa officer may still decide it's just a marriage of convenience due to the very short time. A "normal" relationship time before getting married/submitting PR, is around 1 year. IMO I would spend several more months together first before you get married, and then apply, but it's really up to you.

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC can view it has a "red flag" if both sets of parents are not at the wedding. So if possible you should try to have both parents at the wedding. That may effect where you decide to have it.,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rob_TO said:
You have a major red flag though, in that meeting for the first time to getting married is barely 5 months time. No matter what proof you want to show that the relationship is real, a visa officer may still decide it's just a marriage of convenience due to the very short time. A "normal" relationship time before getting married/submitting PR, is around 1 year. IMO I would spend several more months together first before you get married, and then apply, but it's really up to you.
Agreed. Allow more time for the relationship to develop before you apply.

quebec23

Star Member
May 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
Doc's Request.
23-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013
Passport Req..
24-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2014
LANDED..........
28-01-2014
I got married after 6 months with my partner.
We met online in December 2011.
I saw him in August 2012 in Quebec. We started dating.
And in february 2013, we got married.

So, we dated for 6 months. We sent a lot of proofs. Facebook prints, family's letters, photos, etc.
In the end, my process took 9 months (including the strike and cic's mistake by asking my fbi request since I have never lived in the USA for more than 6 months) and they didn't call me for an interview.

In the notes, I got, the immigration officer said we look good together and we're a beautiful couple.

Good Luck!

Appc66

Jan 10, 2014
quebec23 said:
I got married after 6 months with my partner.
We met online in December 2011.
I saw him in August 2012 in Quebec. We started dating.
And in february 2013, we got married.

So, we dated for 6 months. We sent a lot of proofs. Facebook prints, family's letters, photos, etc.
In the end, my process took 9 months (including the strike and cic's mistake by asking my fbi request since I have never lived in the USA for more than 6 months) and they didn't call me for an interview.

In the notes, I got, the immigration officer said we look good together and we're a beautiful couple.

Good Luck!
Thank you for your reply - your story is encouraging!
Was your partner able to live with you in Canada while you waited for the immigration application to be approved? Did you apply Inland or Outland?
Thanks sooo much!!!

quebec23

Star Member
May 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
Doc's Request.
23-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013
Passport Req..
24-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2014
LANDED..........
28-01-2014
We applied outland. But once my visa was about to expire, I changed it to the tourist one. And they gave me 8 months, so it was perfect timing.
It'll be hard, but you gotta be positive!

Appc66

Jan 10, 2014
quebec23 said:
We applied outland. But once my visa was about to expire, I changed it to the tourist one. And they gave me 8 months, so it was perfect timing.
It'll be hard, but you gotta be positive!
Thank you.
What visa did you originally apply for (the one you say: "But once my visa was about to expire...")? How long was it valid for?
Sounds like you two were well organized in your application process.
Thanks!

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
If you have been married before and divorced in China and get married in Canada you will have to get it approved from the registrar first, You will need a lawyer for this Canada wants to make sure your divorce was legal before marrying you in Canada . This takes about 4 weeks . Sorry cant remember the name of the letter you must get first , then you can apply for a licence to get married in Canada .. It has to be a Canadian lawyer and in Canada.

quebec23

Star Member
May 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
Doc's Request.
23-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013
Passport Req..
24-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2014
LANDED..........
28-01-2014
I had a student visa.
We got married when it was about to expire. Then, asked for the tourist one explaining that we needed more time to gather all the papers.

After a while, we got it.

Appc66

Jan 10, 2014
quebec23 said:
I had a student visa.
We got married when it was about to expire. Then, asked for the tourist one explaining that we needed more time to gather all the papers.

After a while, we got it.
Great! Thank you for all your help!

KTCYYZ

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
Med's Done....
30-07-2013
It depends on your priority:
- being together as soon as possible or
- getting approved as soon as possible (getting PR so you get health insurance, ability to travel outside of Canada, SIN so you can work)

If the freedom to travel outside of Canada and come back in, health insurance and ability to work is important applying outland is better since it takes less time to get approved. Outland applications generally get approved significantly faster than inland applications.
Outland also offers the option to appeal if it gets rejected (if your case is complicated and has risk of being rejected)

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
kafka khaos said:
CIC can view it has a "red flag" if both sets of parents are not at the wedding. So if possible you should try to have both parents at the wedding. That may effect where you decide to have it.,
I'm not so sure about that. Even just one side of the family present at the wedding is good for your application.