+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I go to Canada as soon as or.....

big bird

Sep 20, 2011
Hello,
I prepared all my documents except medical check.I have 2 questions, it will make my life easier if you kind people give me some advice and share your experience.
1. Should I take a medical check before or after applying for a spousal visa? (It's written that doctor doesn't give your test results to you but sends directly to immigration office. If he sends before I apply, immigration people may wonder)
2. Should I go to Canada as soon as I get visa (if I get a visa ), or is it ok to wait until my contract with current work is over?

Pleeease advice me,

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi big bird,

I'm wondering the same thing about your first question. Hope someone can help us with that :)

As for your 2. question, your visa will have an expiry date (the earlier of the expiry date of your medical or your passport). You should come to Canada before your visa expires.

big bird

Sep 20, 2011
Thank you, greenish,

Do you know, if the spouse visa comes with multiple entrence that I can come back and finish my current work contract?

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, I'm actually not very clear on what happens once you have the visa. I think when you make use of your visa, that is the point where people say that you have 'landed'. Once you landed I believe that your are free to go traveling, as long as you reside in Canada. I don't know if you must stay in Canada without leaving at all for a certain period of time after landing.

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Take your medical before you apply. Once you do the medical, yes the doctor sends your information but you will also receive a document(that you did the medical) and that is what you send with your application!

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
greenish said:
Well, I'm actually not very clear on what happens once you have the visa. I think when you make use of your visa, that is the point where people say that you have 'landed'. Once you landed I believe that your are free to go traveling, as long as you reside in Canada. I don't know if you must stay in Canada without leaving at all for a certain period of time after landing.
Your permanent resident status allows you to live in Canada, but there is also a time limit on how long you can live outside the country. To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period.

Once you land you can indeed go back home to your country of residence but to maintain PR you need to be here at least 2 out of every 5 years.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
The visa you are issued is a one time entry visa. You use this visa to 'land'. And when you land you are granted PR status. If you are not from a visa waiver country then it's advisable to wait until you have your PR card before leaving Canada again (approx 6 weeks).

You should 'land in canada before your visa expires (the expiry date will be on it) and its usually 1 year from the date of your medical.
If you are applying outland you should do the medical before you submit the application.