+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I go for Citizenship, Very confused ?

DK84

Aug 29, 2012
Regina
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2013 CIO
Doc's Request.
09-05-2013
Nomination.....
06-12-2012
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
12-02-2013
Med's Request
16-02-2013
Med's Done....
24-02-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-08-2013/ Decesion Made: August 31, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2013
LANDED..........
15-09-2013
Hi guys,

I got my permanent residency in September 2013 and recently I figured out that I was eligible for Canadian citizenship, but what I came to know is India doesn't allow dual citizenship, hence if I go for Canadian citizenship, I will have to give on India citizenship.

Can anyone help to understand the information I have is incorrect or are there any new criterias for citizenship for Indians ?

Please help this to understand as my five years PR visa is going to expire in September this year and I need to renew them again or I Can go for Canadian citizenship if I don't have to give up on Indian citizenship.

Thank you,

DK

avigtr

Jan 11, 2012
Hi guys,

I got my permanent residency in September 2013 and recently I figured out that I was eligible for Canadian citizenship, but what I came to know is India doesn't allow dual citizenship, hence if I go for Canadian citizenship, I will have to give on India citizenship.

Can anyone help to understand the information I have is incorrect or are there any new criterias for citizenship for Indians ?

Please help this to understand as my five years PR visa is going to expire in September this year and I need to renew them again or I Can go for Canadian citizenship if I don't have to give up on Indian citizenship.

Thank you,

DK
As far as I read :"the Constitution of India does NOT allow dual citizenship, i.e., holding Indian citizenship and citizenship of a foreign country simultaneously".
So yea ,getting a Canadian citizenship will revoke your Indian one. I think you are able to get something called OCI (Overseas citizenship of India) but it's not the same. Just google it,its everywhere.
As for your question, Canadian Citizenship will revoke your Indian Citizenship,so you should renew your PR(According to your logic).
It's all about your plans in Life,if you are in Canada and planning to be in Canada but just don't want to let go of your Indian citizenship,then you need to re-evaluate what's more important for you.

Reactions: derin1010

coshx

May 8, 2013
Hi guys,

Thank you,

DK
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
You have to give up your Indian citizenship if you want to become Canadian citizen. Canada allows dual citizenship but India does not, hence you cease to be an Indian citizen once you get Canadian citizenship. You are still eligible to get OCI.

As for your PR visa, your PR visa is invalid as you used it to become PR. Now, I believe you are referring to PR card which is issued for 5 years. You can and should renew PR card but it is not a requirement to have a valid PR card to remain PR in Canada. You will need your PR card when travelling outside Canada as PR card is merely a travel document.

sebbie

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
i don't know anything about India, but from a quick Googling, I found this information: https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-India-allow-dual-citizenship-The-Indian-governments-OCI-and-PIO-programs-are-often-incorrectly-described-as-offering-dual-nationality-or-dual-citizenship-What-are-the-disadvantages-of-dual-citizenship

So it does seem like you would have to give up your citizenship in India and that there are some special statuses for those in that situation. Do your own research to confirm any of this I guess.

There's no obligation to become a citizen, you could just stay in Canada for decades as long as you fulfill the requirements (and don't get in trouble with the law)

You'll probably have to renew your PR card either way, as citizenship applications take 12 months and you might need to travel during that time.

irnbru16

Star Member
Nov 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2014
AOR Received.
25-03-2014
Med's Request
02-04-2015
Med's Done....
09-04-2015
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
Hi guys,

Thank you,

DK

India does not allow Dual citizenship. If you get Canadian citizenship, you have to surrender your Indian citizenship.

However,

You can opt for Overseas Citizen of India card (OCI), It will allow you to

- Visit India whenever you want
- Indefinite stay
- Freedom of working in a private sector
- Buy house

You Can't

- Vote
- Get a government job
- Buy an agricultural land.

So OCI is like an open work permit.

Thanks

DK84

Aug 29, 2012
Regina
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2013 CIO
Doc's Request.
09-05-2013
Nomination.....
06-12-2012
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
12-02-2013
Med's Request
16-02-2013
Med's Done....
24-02-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2013
LANDED..........
15-09-2013
Hey guys,

Many thanks sharing your thoughts and useful information.

I don't know how to apply for OCI and where to begin procedure from ? Can anyone help with this regard ?

Also my PR Card is expiring in September 2018 and I want to renew that, is there any link on CIC for this or what is the procedure to renew it ?

Once again thanks for all information.

Regards
DK

dikshab

Jun 20, 2017
Hey guys,

I don't know how to apply for OCI and where to begin procedure from ? Can anyone help with this regard ?

Also my PR Card is expiring in September 2018 and I want to renew that, is there any link on CIC for this or what is the procedure to renew it ?

Regards
DK
You can only apply for OCI after you get your Canadian passport and have surrendered your Indian passport.

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Hey guys,

Regards
DK
If your Pr card is expiring in Sept you can renew it before 9 months. If you have any plans to go to India its better to renew it paying just $ 50.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace.html

http://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php

http://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

But you need to apply for citizenship then apply for surrender certificate of Indian passport and finally apply for OCI.
Currently you have PR card plus Indian passport later you will travel with Canadian passport and OCI.

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
India does not allow Dual citizenship. If you get Canadian citizenship, you have to surrender your Indian citizenship.

However,

You can opt for Overseas Citizen of India card (OCI), It will allow you to

- Visit India whenever you want
- Indefinite stay
- Freedom of working in a private sector
- Buy house

You Can't

- Vote
- Get a government job
- Buy an agricultural land.

So OCI is like an open work permit.

Thanks
I like this policy of indian govt. They value themselves!!

Reactions: Kan_Sri

DK84

Aug 29, 2012
Regina
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2013 CIO
Doc's Request.
09-05-2013
Nomination.....
06-12-2012
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
12-02-2013
Med's Request
16-02-2013
Med's Done....
24-02-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2013
LANDED..........
15-09-2013
Many thanks KRP, Just one question where can I find how to begin and apply for citizenship ?

kaladhar

May 25, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
LANDED..........
Feb 3, 2016
Hi guys,

Thank you,

DK

As a fellow East Indian, I know how you feel but let me tell you this. It's a very personal and emotional decision on your part. In short, NO, India doesn't support dual citizenship however if you do decide to go for Canadian Citizenship you'll have to surrender your Indian Passport and then apply for the OCI card.

The OCI card will enable you to travel and live in India for as long as you want. Naturally, you can't vote or run for political government or invest in agricultural properties in India. So, you gotta think long and hard before making up your mind.

Good luck!

Kal

kaladhar

May 25, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
LANDED..........
Feb 3, 2016