+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I get a Temp Resident Visa?

Samb6771

Mar 27, 2019
Hello forum.
I am a 20 male US citizenship. I originally came to Canada as a student on a visa to go to school and spend time with my gf of 5 years. I stopped going to school and using my visa about 8 months ago. We are now married as of April 16th and I visit and stay about 3 weeks to 3 months every 2 months because I wish to spend time with my wife. I take online classes from US to manege this. Will I run into trouble with immigration? Should I get a TR Visa? My wife is a PR who has just finishing applying for her citizenship. I always have a return flight. Never stay longer then 6 months. Don't work there ever. Never been denied entry.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello forum.
I am a 20 male US citizenship. I originally came to Canada as a student on a visa to go to school and spend time with my gf of 5 years. I stopped going to school and using my visa about 8 months ago. We are now married as of April 16th and I visit and stay about 3 weeks to 3 months every 2 months because I wish to spend time with my wife. I take online classes from US to manege this. Will I run into trouble with immigration? Should I get a TR Visa? My wife is a PR who has just finishing applying for her citizenship. I always have a return flight. Never stay longer then 6 months. Don't work there ever. Never been denied entry.
You can't get a TRV.

Yes, you may run into trouble with CBSA if you are entering often and staying awhile. Are you applying for spousal sponsorship?

Samb6771

Mar 27, 2019
You can't get a TRV.

Yes, you may run into trouble with CBSA if you are entering often and staying awhile. Are you applying for spousal sponsorship?
I am not. At least that isn't the plan, her whole family has already applied for citizenship. She currently is on a US VISA for visiting the US because her old passport is not the best. We want to move to the US and decided that we will go through that process after she gets her Canada passport. Therefore, she will be living in Canada for about a year more. I'm trying to find out the best way to stay long in Canada without causing issues with CBSA. Right now that involves spending equal to or great time in US than I spend in US. Thoughts? My wife was my girlfriend of 5 years and we got engaged in Dec. We decided to get married sooner than later because of issues with her living with her family. Right now I financially assist her in staying in an apartment away from her family.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I am not. At least that isn't the plan, her whole family has already applied for citizenship. She currently is on a US VISA for visiting the US because her old passport is not the best. We want to move to the US and decided that we will go through that process after she gets her Canada passport. Therefore, she will be living in Canada for about a year more. I'm trying to find out the best way to stay long in Canada without causing issues with CBSA. Right now that involves spending equal to or great time in US than I spend in US. Thoughts? My wife was my girlfriend of 5 years and we got engaged in Dec. We decided to get married sooner than later because of issues with her living with her family. Right now I financially assist her in staying in an apartment away from her family.
IMO, it seems pointless for you then to apply for spousal sponsorship if you intend to move to the US anyway.
You don't qualify for a TR visa because you're visa-exempt as a US citizen.
If you wish to stay longer than 6 months at a time, you might as well apply for extensions of your stays.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can continue as you have been doing but know that you may very well be refused entry at some point.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I see. Could you elaborate?
You can always be refused admission if CBSA feels you are living in Canada. Why didn’t your wife try to get a US visa? Your best bet would be to remain in Canada and not cross any borders while extending your visitor status every 6 months. Given that you are a student and may not have much savings you may not be granted an extension. If you are supporting her are you also employed? You can’t work in Canada but she can. The fact that you were on a student permit but then stopped going to school also raises some red flags.

Samb6771

Mar 27, 2019
You can always be refused admission if CBSA feels you are living in Canada. Why didn’t your wife try to get a US visa? Your best bet would be to remain in Canada and not cross any borders while extending your visitor status every six months. Given that you are a student and may not have much savings, you may not be granted an extension. If you are supporting her are you also employed? You can’t work in Canada but she can. The fact that you were on a student permit but then stopped going to school also raises some red flags.
I see. This forum has been beneficial. Thank you for the information. I have already spoken to Border people about my story with her. My school permit was already going to expire early because I had to renew my passport. Therefore, I would have had to reapply for the visa. I am not too worried about the student part. Financially, I am fine. I can prove this to CBSA by showing them my W.2. My main concern is them getting the idea that I intend to use my visiting to sneak in and stay. Which I am multiple times explained to them I would not immigrate while visiting as well as I have zero intention to work in Canada because I already have work in the US. Some of which I handle over phone or computer. I just hate having to come over under the guise of "Visiting" so frequently because I'm bound to be pulled aside for a sit-down or worse denied entry. Thank you all for your advice.