+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I file Tax with ZERO income_New Immigrant

Agastya

Nov 29, 2017
Hi, I just landed in March 2021 and I am not working as of now.

Should I file Income Tax in Canada with "ZERO" income?

Pls advice!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you might not have employment income, but you might have other incomes such as bank interest and foreign income. Who knows - you might got a job in September and working towards next year or so.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I just have a followup question: How then will I file for CCB and Trillium benefits? I tried making a CRA account... But that will not happen till I file tax?
You have to provide proof of your international income for the past 2 years to determine what amount of CCB you will qualify for. Not sure whether you will qualify for trillium until you have more employment history in Canada. Trillium is only for people who spend a very large percentage of their income on medications. Are you and your spouse if you have one employed in Canada? Are your medication cost extremely high? Are we taking 1K+/ month? $500/month? There are many people who just have to pay a few hundred dollars out of pocket per month on medication. Trillium still requires you to pay a pretty high deductible before you get access to $2 prescriptions.

Agastya

Nov 29, 2017
You have to provide proof of your international income for the past 2 years to determine what amount of CCB you will qualify for. Not sure whether you will qualify for trillium until you have more employment history in Canada. Trillium is only for people who spend a very large percentage of their income on medications. Are you and your spouse if you have one employed in Canada? Are your medication cost extremely high? Are we taking 1K+/ month? $500/month? There are many people who just have to pay a few hundred dollars out of pocket per month on medication. Trillium still requires you to pay a pretty high deductible before you get access to $2 prescriptions.
Sure.... So I am from India.... What proofs do I need to submit for my last 2 years international income??

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I just have a followup question: How then will I file for CCB and Trillium benefits? I tried making a CRA account... But that will not happen till I file tax?
MY Account will not let you register unless you’ve filed the last two years of returns .
Until then you send your requests in writing to your assigned tax centre

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You may not qualify for Trillium benefits. Trillium is only for situations where your medications costs are a large percentage of your income and you still have to pay a decent sized yearly deductible even if you qualify. It is not something you apply for automatically when you arrive in Ontario.