+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I file tax return for 2022???

D

Deleted member 1083629

I file my return by myself through wealth simple tax. I have submitted T1 for 2022.Since I arrived in 12 dec I have not earned any income in canada.Am a resident or not
Whether you resident or not doesn't depend on your income. It depends on your ties. If you live in CA, then you are resident. If you came and left (soft landing), then you are non-resident.

D

Deleted member 1083629

residential ties as in they are in student visa
Your visa status is irrelevant. If you live in CA, you are a resident for tax purposes. If you don't live in CA and you don't have significant ties (you can google what CRA considers as significant ties), then you are not a tax resident.

If you are a student, you are most likely a resident for tax purposes unless you consistenly live/study outside of Canada for more than 183 days/year.

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Should have mentioned this before but what kind of bank accounts do you have and are there significant savings? If so that can be considered a tie to Canada, I would verify with CRA that your financial accounts do not make you a tax resident. When people are doing a short landing and don’t want to become tax residents I would not encourage opening up bank accounts. That creates a tie to Canada.
The fund in the account is very low, like $3000, but I can see there is no interest earned from this $3000 deposit.

htransf

Oct 21, 2021
Hello. I am in a similar position - soft landed in May 2022 and have been in Canada less than a week in 2022. The difference is I did not have any income derived from Canada source -- not even CAD$ 5. I filed tax in the US for the year 2022. Do I need to file any tax form even if I don't owe any tax? Thanks

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Hello. I am in a similar position - soft landed in May 2022 and have been in Canada less than a week in 2022. The difference is I did not have any income derived from Canada source -- not even CAD$ 5. I filed tax in the US for the year 2022. Do I need to file any tax form even if I don't owe any tax? Thanks
i think NO. Whether you have to file Canada tax return depends on your residential ties (not immigration status like PR). You stayed just a week hence you do not settle in Canada. You do not have Canadian income as well, so no.

But you have to confirm your residential ties, which are explained in official CRA website.

devgita**

Mar 26, 2023
even if u r in canada fo 1 day file your return if u need any help regarding it i can help you with filing. taxes

htransf

Oct 21, 2021
even if u r in canada fo 1 day file your return if u need any help regarding it i can help you with filing. taxes
Thank you for your note. I'd prefer not to file a tax return if I don't have to. I am contacting the CRA to help with determining my tax residency status.

i think NO. Whether you have to file Canada tax return depends on your residential ties (not immigration status like PR). You stayed just a week hence you do not settle in Canada. You do not have Canadian income as well, so no.

But you have to confirm your residential ties, which are explained in official CRA website.
Thank you for the suggestion to take a look at the CRA website. From what I have read there so far, I don't have any residential ties to Canada: I don't have bank account, credit card, property (owned or rental). I don't think I have either a SIN or TIN for Canada. I have not used any social benefits at all. I have no family in Canada although my spouse has cousins there. When we visist Canada latter this year, we'll stay mainly in hotel or rentals (via airBnB or vRbo).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your note. I'd prefer not to file a tax return if I don't have to. I am contacting the CRA to help with determining my tax residency status.

Thank you for the suggestion to take a look at the CRA website. From what I have read there so far, I don't have any residential ties to Canada: I don't have bank account, credit card, property (owned or rental). I don't think I have either a SIN or TIN for Canada. I have not used any social benefits at all. I have no family in Canada although my spouse has cousins there. When we visist Canada latter this year, we'll stay mainly in hotel or rentals (via airBnB or vRbo).
Always best to let CRA to determine your tax residency status but based on what you have posted there is no need to file Canadian taxes.