+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I file tax return for 2022???

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Hello everyone, I soft-landed in Vancouver in the end of October last year and this was when I officially became a PR. I stayed for like 5 days and these 5 days are the only days I stayed in Canada in 2022. After soft landing, I returned my home country to continue employment till now.
Should I file tax return for 2022? My understanding is that I am a "non-resident" and hence do not have any tax owed.
please advise, many thanks

D

Deleted member 1083629

Hello everyone, I soft-landed in Vancouver in the end of October last year and this was when I officially became a PR. I stayed for like 5 days and these 5 days are the only days I stayed in Canada in 2022. After soft landing, I returned my home country to continue employment till now.
Should I file tax return for 2022? My understanding is that I am a "non-resident" and hence do not have any tax owed.
Technically, you become a resident for tax purposes as soon as you land. However, you had no income in Canada in 2022 and therefore, you don't have to file taxes. With that being said, your definition of "non-resident" is incorrect. You don't define yourself as non-resident or resident for tax purposes; CRA does it for you. Just because you are non-resident, doesn't mean that you don't owe taxes in Canada. That's true in your case but that's not true in other cases.

Reactions: TADF chemist

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Technically, you become a resident for tax purposes as soon as you land. However, you had no income in Canada in 2022 and therefore, you don't have to file taxes. With that being said, your definition of "non-resident" is incorrect. You don't define yourself as non-resident or resident for tax purposes; CRA does it for you. Just because you are non-resident, doesn't mean that you don't owe taxes in Canada. That's true in your case but that's not true in other cases.
Yes, I basically did not have any income from Canada for 2022. However, I got some tiny interest from my Canadian bank like CAD$50. Is this necessary to file a tax return?

D

Deleted member 1083629

Yes, I basically did not have any income from Canada for 2022. However, I got some tiny interest from my Canadian bank like CAD$50. Is this necessary to file a tax return?
Oh totally. 50$ bucks will make you the target for audit. If you don't declare that, believe it or not, straight to jail.

On a serious note, you haven't spend enough time in Canada if you are asking that question )). There are people who commit tax fraud around 7-8 digit numbers. While your interest rate should be reported, it's far from being significant enough to attract CRA attention.

BTW, if you have time, read about CERB tax fraud )) Your 50$ in interest would be the very last item in the priority list ))

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They didn’t become a tax resident as soon as they landed if they left right away and likely had not established any ties to Canada like having dependent family in Canada, job, pr
home, financial accounts, etc.

Reactions: mayple

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh totally. 50$ bucks will make you the target for audit. If you don't declare that, believe it or not, straight to jail.

On a serious note, you haven't spend enough time in Canada if you are asking that question )). There are people who commit tax fraud around 7-8 digit numbers. While your interest rate should be reported, it's far from being significant enough to attract CRA attention.

BTW, if you have time, read about CERB tax fraud )) Your 50$ in interest would be the very last item in the priority list ))
Clearly being sarcastic about the $50 but many may not know this. There is no need to file taxes this year for OP

Reactions: TADF chemist
D

Deleted member 1083629

They didn’t become a tax resident as soon as they landed if they left right away and likely had not established any ties to Canada like having dependent family in Canada, job, pr
home, financial accounts, etc.
This is what it says on the website: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4055/t4055-newcomers-canada.html

In this particular case, you are correct. @TADF chemist didn't establish any residential ties (primary ones) to be considered as a resident for tax purposes.

D

Deleted member 1083629

I know, MajorGrom was just joking. And I wanna be super careful when it comes to tax return
You are fine. Don't lose your sleep over 50$ when there are so much tax fraud happening at the moment.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Should have mentioned this before but what kind of bank accounts do you have and are there significant savings? If so that can be considered a tie to Canada, I would verify with CRA that your financial accounts do not make you a tax resident. When people are doing a short landing and don’t want to become tax residents I would not encourage opening up bank accounts. That creates a tie to Canada.

caninfoseeker

Aug 25, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
Sydney

devgita**

Mar 26, 2023
I have arrived in Canada on 12december 2022 and also owned a Bank Account and have a credit card.Can you please tell me do I come under the resident for the tax purpose in canada for 2022.I have already filed the income tax return mentioning that I am a resident .What should I do?

caninfoseeker

Aug 25, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
Sydney
I think you have done right thing, as a resident you pay tax on canadian income as well as global income, as a non resident you pay tax only on canadian income, how you filed your first return, through self? Or consultant? Or through software such as turbo tax, on paper or electronic?
Have you filed T1135 apply to those holding assets more than cad 100k outside canada, have you declared international income if any between 12 dec to 31 dec 2022 (after becoming ca resident). By the way as a resident you are suppose to pay more hence no offense, paying less is attracts penalty paying more generates refund
Read below CRA instructions which says in most cases new immigrant become resident the day they land
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/newcomers-canada-immigrants.html
Disclaimer : not a legal advice, just exchange of knowledge to reach consensus

devgita**

Mar 26, 2023
I file my return by myself through wealth simple tax. I have submitted T1 for 2022.Since I arrived in 12 dec I have not earned any income in canada.Am a resident or not