+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I file tax return for 2022???

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Hello everyone, I soft-landed in Vancouver in the end of October last year and this was when I officially became a PR. I stayed for like 5 days and these 5 days are the only days I stayed in Canada in 2022. After soft landing, I returned my home country to continue employment till now.
Should I file tax return for 2022? My understanding is that I am a "non-resident" and hence do not have any tax owed.
please advise, many thanks

baconsocks

Nov 26, 2019
I am in the same situation and I am going to file a Canadian return after my US return is filed. That way I’m showing that I am a tax resident of another country and paying taxes to that country. It’s my understanding is that you have to report worldwide income to the CRA. I’d rather file something than nothing and let the CRA sort it out.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone, I soft-landed in Vancouver in the end of October last year and this was when I officially became a PR. I stayed for like 5 days and these 5 days are the only days I stayed in Canada in 2022. After soft landing, I returned my home country to continue employment till now.
Should I file tax return for 2022? My understanding is that I am a "non-resident" and hence do not have any tax owed.
please advise, many thanks
No need to file taxes if the only thing you did was land in Canada stay fir 5 days and leave

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the same situation and I am going to file a Canadian return after my US return is filed. That way I’m showing that I am a tax resident of another country and paying taxes to that country. It’s my understanding is that you have to report worldwide income to the CRA. I’d rather file something than nothing and let the CRA sort it out.
There is absolutely no reason to file taxes if you are in a similar situation. You aren’t a tax resident. Do you have a spouse or dependent children living in Canada? Had you previously lived in Canada and haveproperty, financial accounts, etc. in Canada? This just creates extra work for CRA and potential confusion as to why you are filing taxes.